Old 02-02-2009, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default where to see espaliers

Please, I am wanting to travel to the UK and France to see espaliers.
Can you please tell me where I can find public espalier displays? The
name of the garden and the location would be oh-so-helpful identifiers
for me.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Minnesota, US espaliest
Old 02-02-2009, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"minnesota espaliest" wrote...
Please, I am wanting to travel to the UK and France to see espaliers.
Can you please tell me where I can find public espalier displays? The
name of the garden and the location would be oh-so-helpful identifiers
for me.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

They have some at the RHS garden at Wisley, Surrey.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/

They will also be able to point you in the right direction as to where you
can see other displays of Espalier trees. I know the fruit Department went
on a "jolly" to the Continent to visit fruit growers a couple of years ago.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-02-2009, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

minnesota espaliest wrote:
Please, I am wanting to travel to the UK and France to see espaliers.
Can you please tell me where I can find public espalier displays? The
name of the garden and the location would be oh-so-helpful identifiers
for me.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Minnesota, US espaliest

Well a nice French garden, with lots of espaliered apple and pear,
is at Ch. Villandry. There are fairly extensive pictures of the
gardens at www.chateauvillandry.com, not that I saw any signs of
espaliers on the site. Villandry is a town on the Loire near Tours.

Here in Lower Normandy espaliers are to be found (either pear or apple)
on virtually every old farmhouse. The small heritage apple garden
in Alencon is done entirely in espalier, for example, although I'd
not really think it worth the voyage. There are some nice Tilia
done this way too.

-E

Old 04-02-2009, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"minnesota espaliest" wrote in message
Please, I am wanting to travel to the UK and France to see espaliers.
Can you please tell me where I can find public espalier displays? The
name of the garden and the location would be oh-so-helpful identifiers
for me.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Minnesota, US espaliest

Depends on whereabouts in the country you wish to visit North West England
( nr Manchester Airport ) Tatton Hall has a selection of fruit trees
http://www.gapphotos.com/imagedetail...imageno=120797 and is a
horticultural and historical gem A great many old halls do have espalliers
IIRC Wythenshawe Hall close to the airport did but I haven't visited the
walled garden for many years
Arley Hall ( about 5 miles from Tatton ) does have a selection.
Grappenhall a few miles further
http://www.ghwalledgarden.org.uk/Garden%20Today.htm
You can download the RHA garden finder
http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsgardenfinder/gardenfinder.asp
might be worth joining as members get free entry to a lot of places.
and of course you are handy for the Lake District.............
DerekW