Old 23-02-2003, 11:39 PM
zxcvbob

Default Blood oranges from seed

DH wrote:

Is there a source for seeds for blood oranges, or are they the product of a
graft, and therefore only available as plants?

Just curious, because I had my first experience with them and now am ruined
for "regular" orange juice for the rest of my life! :-)

I am moving to ten acres in a couple of months. Among the many other trees
I want to plant, I would like to plant a small orchard (ten or so) of blood
oranges, but at $30+ per plant, am wondering if there is a less expensive
way to go.

TIA,
DH

Buy one tree to get you started.

You should be able to plant seeds from a grocery store blood orange
(unless they are seedless). From what I have read, citrus produce a lot
truer from seed than most fruit trees. If you end up with something
undesirable you can graft cuttings from your purchased tree onto your
seedling rootstock.

Are you sure they grow in your area?

Best regards,
Bob