Old 08-02-2009, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Best mix for tomatoes in pots?

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 05:52:13 -0600, geronimo
wrote:

I am in a rent house so I want to grow my tomatoes in pots. I have
tried growing individual tomato plants in 6 gal. pots with Miracle
Gro, but had poor results. Just a few puny fruit produced.

It is probably not the soil mix. Tomatoes need sun and heat. I tried
one year to grow some in the greenhouse during the winter. Wasn't
worth it. I probably paid 10 times in electricity than I would have
for tomatoes. Inside on a window sill does not do it.

Did you add any fertilizer after the plants got started? Patio type
tomatoes work best in pots. The variety "Patio" does fairly well in
pots. I also had OK results last summer with "Window Box Roma."
--
Susan N.