Old 09-02-2009, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
ljp other ljp other is offline

Default Tiny carrots overwintered--what do I do now?

On Feb 8, 4:49 pm, "Suzanne D." wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message

Suzanne D. wrote:
I don't want flowers; I want carrots. This doesn't really answer my
question. Are you saying that the roots will no longer grow, and that I
SHOULD pull them out now and replant? Or are you saying that the roots
WILL keep growing, but if I leave them too long next summer the tops will
flower? I guess I am just asking if I should pull these and replant now,
or if they will continue to grow into full sized carrots. Anyone know?
--S.

It's too late for the carrots. Even if they do get larger (which I doubt)
they will be tough and woody and nasty. All you have now is potential
flowers.

Thanks everyone. I'll pull them all up and start fresh on our next pleasant
day!
--S.

I have a similar group of carrots. I tried to grow them between rows
of beans. I'm going to let them grow. My experience with bienials
(holly hocks) is that it sometimes takes more than a year for them to
get a large enough root to support flowering and going to seed. Of
course in zone 3a what I want to do may be moot.