Old 11-04-2003, 07:08 PM
simy1

Default Preparing a raised bed (vegetables)

ojunk (Brs36) wrote in message ...
Hi Zahn,

Yes, exactly that. I want to test the soil and prepare it properly, so I'm
looking for some kind of reference (online or in book form) to get started.

It is a bit late to prepare the soil for this year. But no matter what
the soil, if you spread two inches of manure on top, you will be able
to garden this year, and you will have a better soil next year. From
there you can continue adding manure, if it is sandy (and therefore
typically low fertility and acid), leaves, if it is clay (decent
fertility, poor texture), wood chips, if it is alkaline, wood ash, if
it is acid, and compost, in any circumstance.