Old 11-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Brs36

Default Preparing a raised bed (vegetables)

Hi,

I'm looking for information on how to prepare soil for a raised vegetable bed
(online or offline info.). In particular, I'm looking for a good reference to
know how much of what soil and amendments to use and how to calculate how much
I need to buy based on the size of the garden.

Thanks,
Brenan
Remove the Nojunk from the email address to reply to the email address.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Brs36

Hi Zahn,

Yes, exactly that. I want to test the soil and prepare it properly, so I'm
looking for some kind of reference (online or in book form) to get started.

Thanks,
Hi,

I'm looking for information on how to prepare soil for a raised vegetable

bed
(online or offline info.). In particular, I'm looking for a good reference

know how much of what soil and amendments to use and how to calculate how

much
I need to buy based on the size of the garden.

Thanks,
Brenan
Remove the Nojunk from the email address to reply to the email address.

The answer depends on what the condition and nutrient analysis is of
the soil you have to start with.

zhan

Remove the Nojunk from the email address to reply to the email address.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Valkyrie

"Brs36" wrote in message
Hi Zahn,

Yes, exactly that. I want to test the soil and prepare it properly, so I'm
looking for some kind of reference (online or in book form) to get

started.

Thanks,

Why don't you plug "raised gardening" or any other like phrase of your
question into a search engine?

Val

Old 11-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Tom Jaszewski

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:33:59 GMT, zhanataya wrote:

On 11 Apr 2003 13:10:53 GMT, ojunk (Brs36) wrote:

Hi Zahn,

Yes, exactly that. I want to test the soil and prepare it properly, so I'm
looking for some kind of reference (online or in book form) to get started.

Thanks,

Your best resources for information is right here and
rec.gardens.edible. We might digress from the original subject line
on occasion.;-) But there are some very very knowledgeable people her
and on rge.

zhan

Large PDF file, 20 pages.
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/PDF/potmix.pdf

HTML version
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/potmix.html

The following three recipes are adapted from a subchapter entitled
Using compost for container crops and potting mixes in Rynk, Robert
(ed.) 1992. On-Farm Composting Handbook. Publication NRAES-54.
Northeast Regional Agricultural Engineering Service, Cornell
Cooperative Extension, Ithaca, NY. 186 p. Vegetable transplant recipe

Equal parts by volume of:

compost
peat moss
perlite or vermiculite

Bedding plant recipe

25% compost
50% peat moss
25% perlite or vermiculite

Container mix for herbaceous & woody ornamentals

Equal parts by volume of:

compost
coarse sand
peat moss or milled pine bark

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson
Old 11-04-2003, 08:44 PM
jhultman

You can buy soil test kits from Home Depot and probably OSH.
Soil samples into the kit and it tells you if you're to PH or acid
and what to add to counter. I tried one a few years ago and found the
yard to be 6.5. Which is just about right.

Best would be to take a sample and send it off to your county ag. dept.
They'll (for a fee) analyze and send you a report with suggestions
of what to amend with.

I've had good luck with just adding a lot of compost to make the soil
loose, so root structure is not inhibited. As well as manure/fertilizer
and not compacting the final dig by keeping from walking on it. I've got to
till a new area this evening before it rains tomorrow. I'll probably get only
a few inches in
the clay but the rain tomorrow should help the next few inches get softer.
I've got a pile of compost from the city ready to be added afterwards.

Good drainage, 12 inches minimum IMO to dig/prep
I'm still learning.

Clear as mud?

Jeff