Old 11-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Derek Zieminski

Default [IBC] Why I dislike Serissa

1) Beginners like them because of the "thousand flowers," buy them,
and then pester me on my website about why they are dropping all) For
their leaves.* And I have to be nice, and not say things like GOOD
RIDDANCE TO BAD RUBBISH.* They are not good plants for beginners.
They are demoralizing.* And they smell bad.

Well, as many know from my experience this was truly my first bonsai ever and
my first trial and success with rooting.

2) For nonbeginners, they are not inspiring bonsai material (except
if Suthin does them).* Where is the trick in doing a bonsai from a
twiggy shrub with tiny leaves??????* Big deal.* When I had one, I
actually wished it would die so I could buy something more worthwhile.

As for now I still consider myself a beginner with almost five years of study
and practice. I do not know where the "twiggy shrub" and "tiny leaves"
comes from. For one they are not a "twiggy shrub" thank you very much. With
time, work, and knowledge they do develop great trunks. As for the "tiny
leaves" isn't that part of bonsai, leaf reduction. Yeah they do start out
small but, if one who has had one live knows they can grow bigger leaves, if
one is not careful. So continue to wish for the death of them, if the slim
chance of me rising one day they will be with me.

3) You can't say anything about them without first writing "Serrissa"
"Serrisa" and "Serissa" to remember how to spell the word.* Then you
have to spell foetida.* Forget the whole damn thing, people.* Buy a
fig.

Well, than, SERISSA FOETIDA. Well I guess I just like the so called
challenge of them so they will always live in my collection. Forget a Fig,
wheres the challenge in that since they are almost impossible to kill. From
the knowledge and personal view of my mentor, figs do recover from physical
harm greatly.

By eight tonight I will post my prized tree with a picture of the first
cuttings made to it and one from last season. The tree is still under five
years old.

"A thousand stars tonight, a thousand stars tomorrow, Serissa foetida will
live and shine always"
Derek Zieminski
Summerville, SC
Zone *A