Old 11-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Tom Jaszewski

Default Preparing a raised bed (vegetables)

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:33:59 GMT, zhanataya wrote:

On 11 Apr 2003 13:10:53 GMT, ojunk (Brs36) wrote:

Hi Zahn,

Yes, exactly that. I want to test the soil and prepare it properly, so I'm
looking for some kind of reference (online or in book form) to get started.

Thanks,

Your best resources for information is right here and
rec.gardens.edible. We might digress from the original subject line
on occasion.;-) But there are some very very knowledgeable people her
and on rge.

zhan

Large PDF file, 20 pages.
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/PDF/potmix.pdf

HTML version
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/potmix.html

The following three recipes are adapted from a subchapter entitled
Using compost for container crops and potting mixes in Rynk, Robert
(ed.) 1992. On-Farm Composting Handbook. Publication NRAES-54.
Northeast Regional Agricultural Engineering Service, Cornell
Cooperative Extension, Ithaca, NY. 186 p. Vegetable transplant recipe

Equal parts by volume of:

compost
peat moss
perlite or vermiculite

Bedding plant recipe

25% compost
50% peat moss
25% perlite or vermiculite

Container mix for herbaceous & woody ornamentals

Equal parts by volume of:

compost
coarse sand
peat moss or milled pine bark

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson