Old 15-02-2009, 08:13 AM posted to austin.gardening
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default soaker hoses v/s drip irrigation,

wrote in message

I was talking to someone @ The Natural Gardener nursery about the
differences and she said that as far as durability of the soaker hoses
it depended whether they were exposed to the sun or not. Hers have
lasted 7 yrs so far.

The good thing I can see about soaker hoses is that they can be moved
more easily than a drip system.

Also, someone else I typed to said that hey use their soaker hoses for
the veggie garden only and during the off season just roll them up
till the next need. Making them last longer.

Someone else suggested pvc , but I really think that is much more
permanent (may too permanent for what I need)

Oh well , I will think, think, think, think..... -------------------
Winnie the Pooh expression

have a great day,
Anita

Contrar.
PVC wasn't meant for constant sun exposure.
Vertical "vent" pipes for drain system you may see on a house roof are
required by IRC to be painted for that reason. If all of it is buried, not
a problem.
Supply side PVC is rated per wall thickness as well, 40 or 80 for example.
Depending on the location of burial, what runs over it, a "heavier" PVC may
be required. U-PVC is available, but all the fittings normally needed in
supply-side plumbing are not always available.
--
Dave

CDOs are how we got here.
A modified version, new taxes in the future, is how Congress will get us
out?