Old 16-02-2009, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Apple scrumping time

Kia ora Poms

It is the start of apple scrumping time here (we have a few early varieties
like Sunrise, Gala and Gravestein) coming in to season.

Thus far I have scrumped (well, asked and been granted permission but
scrumping sounds more exciting) some apples from 2 trees on a empty lot down
the road and from my neighbours tree (in exchange for a bag of tomatos in
her letter box every few days and potatos dug from here garden). Those
apples went toward making 22 litres of apple cider. First attempt.
"Interesting" experience. If nayone wants to hear about it let me know
(note: let me know if you want the short or long version. There is no short
version, long version only).

I semi-scrumpt some apples from a workmates rental property today. Our
secretary wanted some eating apples for her family. Whilst picking decent
eating apples the odd scungy or slightly 'off' apple fell in to a box of
mine. Scungy apples outweigh eating apples about 3-1 however the trees were
unsprayed so what else can you expect. If I can now agree to my neighbour
down the road agreeing to part with the (rapidly ripening) apples off his
tree (maybe in exchange for some of the finished product) I can turn my hand
to making another batch of cider.

Amazing what you can do with neighbourhood produce.