Old 11-04-2003, 10:08 PM
clc

Default Fluorescent light vs. grow light

Do you know I have not been able to find a "warm" light at all in my area?
All fluorescents are labeled "cool".

Cheryl
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
SugarChile wrote:
Here's how I understand it. If you are growing houseplants, especially
flowering plants, indoors under lights in a more or less permanent
setup, you need the grow lights for the complete spectrum of light. If
you are just starting some seeds to get a few weeks jump on the season,
the ordinary fluorescents, especially a mix of warm and cool, are
entirely adequate.

Sue Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"michele" wrote in message
om...

I start quite a few seed indoors and was wondering if fluorescent
light can be used once the plants emerge rather than grow lights
(since I have quite a few fluorescent fixtures and bulbs not being
used).

I have very good success using GE's SPX30 and SPX35 fluorescent lamps, and
I think the last ones I bought were Philips "Alto TL830", or something

like
that. They are cheap, and the plants love 'em. They work a little better
than brand new "GRO" lamps, and they maintain their brightness a lot

longer
-- so they work much better than year old GRO lamps.

One warm white and one cool white worked pretty well about 20 years ago,
but fluorescent lamp technology has advanced a lot since then.

Hope this helps, :-)
Bob

--
Have a Windows® computer that is powered on for hours at a time? Join the
search for a cure for cancer: