Old 19-02-2009, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] kate@notme.com is offline

Default wanted: chive seeds

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:39:20 -0500, Bill
wrote:

I've always thought of chives as a perennial. Perhaps you can check
with a neighbor and rip out some. Tear into small sections and plant.

Guess you know about Chinese chives?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic_chives I like them as they flower
late and everything is edible and they attract pollinators and........

I kind of regret planting them. They took over the patch I put them in
and have spread to other areas (cracks in concrete, etc.) I now let
them duke it out with the oregano.

Same culture here concerning Garlic_chives tis better to propagate
established plants if possible. But if you want a certain plant and you
got the time go with the seeds.

Bill who wonders if many folks grow perennials from seed. I layering
kind of guy.

I started the oregano from seed. Marshmallow, St Johns Wort, Lemon
Balm are the others I can think of that actually made it to
perennial-hood.

Kate - middle TN where some of the daffodils have started blooming and
the crocuses are in full swing.