Old 16-02-2009, 02:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default wanted: chive seeds

Anybody have some chive seeds they would be willing to trade? I'd
like to start a batch in a planter.

I've got loads of morning glory, plus some Ziegler's Heirloom lettuce
that I could offer in trade. If interested, please email me at
yahoo.com email fuzzhead72 with "chive seeds" in the subject heading.
Thanks!
Old 16-02-2009, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

"OhioGuy" wrote in message
Anybody have some chive seeds they would be willing to trade?

Chive seeds are common and cheap... would cost at least five times the price
of a seed packet than two people would pay postage to accomplish the swap.

Old 17-02-2009, 03:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

brooklyn1 wrote:
"OhioGuy" wrote in message
Anybody have some chive seeds they would be willing to trade?

Chive seeds are common and cheap... would cost at least five times the price
of a seed packet than two people would pay postage to accomplish the swap.

Wow - what country do you live in? Seed packets around here are $2
and up for herbs and the like, and if I add a trip to the store, that
costs me another buck in gas at least - so $3 minimum.

First class stamp is under 50c.

But anyway, saving a little $ is probably not nearly as important as
sharing. That is a lot more fun.
Old 17-02-2009, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

OhioGuy wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:
"OhioGuy" wrote in message
Anybody have some chive seeds they would be willing to trade?

Chive seeds are common and cheap... would cost at least five times the
price of a seed packet than two people would pay postage to accomplish
the swap.

Wow - what country do you live in? Seed packets around here are $2
and up for herbs and the like, and if I add a trip to the store, that
costs me another buck in gas at least - so $3 minimum.

First class stamp is under 50c.

But anyway, saving a little $ is probably not nearly as important as
sharing. That is a lot more fun.

I live in the same area that you do and it sounds like you are doing
your seed shopping in the wrong stores. The "dollar stores" like Dollar
Tree and Dollar General sell quite a variety of seeds for less than what
postage would cost. Just yesterday I notice that Dollar Tree had their
"10 for $1" seeds out already (and yes, they did have chives) and Dollar
General had their large pack of seeds for "4 for $1". Wal*Mart also has
seeds at less than $1 a pack (and they sell the more expensive seeds
too). Walgreens always has their "10 for $1" seed coupons in the
weekend ad insert.

I have never had any problem with "cheap seeds". They germinate just as
well as the expensive seeds and have been true to the what is listed on
the pack.

I agree with you that sharing is important but, even in this newsgroup,
you need to be careful giving someone your address. You just never know
who you are dealing with.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 17-02-2009, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

I've always thought of chives as a perennial. Perhaps you can check
with a neighbor and rip out some. Tear into small sections and plant.

Guess you know about Chinese chives?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic_chives I like them as they flower
late and everything is edible and they attract pollinators and........

Same culture here concerning Garlic_chives tis better to propagate
established plants if possible. But if you want a certain plant and you
got the time go with the seeds.

Bill who wonders if many folks grow perennials from seed. I layering
kind of guy.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 17-02-2009, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill R" wrote in message
OhioGuy wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:
"OhioGuy" wrote in message
[...]

Exactly.

I can understand if it's some rare plant, but chives?!?!?

And for home gardens most folks simply buy a farm pack of chive plants for
$2... most all herbs are sold as plants rather than seeds. Chives are a
perennial herb, they propagate and grow back year after year, they're pretty
much maintenance free and are not bothered by disease but they tend to clump
and need occasional dividing.

I can see swapping seeds with neighbor gardeners (I've done that on
occasion, but usually we just offer them to each other gratis) but packaging
and mailing a dollar packet of seed that can be purchased anywhere is just
silly. Burpee packages seeds for Walmart... it's the same Burpee packaging
but is imprinted with "Packaged For Walmart", they are marked at a greatly
reduced price... last spring they were priced at 88¢ each... by mid summer
they're marked down to 50% off, by September the left overs were 10¢ each.

I also buy some vegetable seeds in bulk (Agway) scooped from a large burlap
sack and sold by weight... the price drops substantially as weight
increases, so for seeds like beans and corn I've shopped in partnership with
a couple of neighbors. But it's still not enough money saved on a pound of
beans to jump through hoops getting folks all together.

Old 19-02-2009, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:39:20 -0500, Bill
wrote:

I've always thought of chives as a perennial. Perhaps you can check
with a neighbor and rip out some. Tear into small sections and plant.

Guess you know about Chinese chives?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic_chives I like them as they flower
late and everything is edible and they attract pollinators and........

I kind of regret planting them. They took over the patch I put them in
and have spread to other areas (cracks in concrete, etc.) I now let
them duke it out with the oregano.

Same culture here concerning Garlic_chives tis better to propagate
established plants if possible. But if you want a certain plant and you
got the time go with the seeds.

Bill who wonders if many folks grow perennials from seed. I layering
kind of guy.

I started the oregano from seed. Marshmallow, St Johns Wort, Lemon
Balm are the others I can think of that actually made it to
perennial-hood.

Kate - middle TN where some of the daffodils have started blooming and
the crocuses are in full swing.
Old 20-02-2009, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Will check dollar tree tomorrow, thanks!

Old 23-02-2009, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

OhioGuy wrote:
Will check dollar tree tomorrow, thanks!

Dollar Tree in Panorama City, CALIF (91402) still does not have any
seed packets. I've been checking every Monday and Thursday.
Where else are Dollar Tree now selling seeds 10 for 1$. I'll show your
info to the store manager.

Many thanks, Dave_s

Old 23-02-2009, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dave_S wrote:
OhioGuy wrote:
Will check dollar tree tomorrow, thanks!

Dollar Tree in Panorama City, CALIF (91402) still does not have any
seed packets. I've been checking every Monday and Thursday.
Where else are Dollar Tree now selling seeds 10 for 1$. I'll show your
info to the store manager.

Many thanks, Dave_s

As with a lot of chain stores, items vary by location (and season). Did
your store carry seeds last year? The store manager might be able to
check and see if seed are going to be available at his/her store.

Around here (Ohio Valley), almost all the Dollar Tree stores have their
seeds out. Depending on seed type and pack size some are $1 a pack
(perennials), others are 4 for $1, and they have a large selection
(common flowers and vegetables) for 10 for $1.

Other places around here that sell "cheap" seeds are Walgreens (they had
a coupon in yesterday's paper for 5 for $1 -- last year they were 10 for
$1), Wal*Mart (they have a good variety and some stores do have 10 cent
a pack seeds), and Big Lots (varies a lot by store).

Also check your other "Dollar stores" and "discount" stores. Many of
them carry seeds.

Old 23-02-2009, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dave_S" wrote in message
OhioGuy wrote:
Will check dollar tree tomorrow, thanks!

Dollar Tree in Panorama City, CALIF (91402) still does not have any
seed packets. I've been checking every Monday and Thursday.
Where else are Dollar Tree now selling seeds 10 for 1$. I'll show your
info to the store manager.

All that travel to and fro and machinations to save a few pennies on a seed
packet... geeze, yoose guys have way too much idle time.

Old 25-02-2009, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

OhioGuy wrote:
Will check dollar tree tomorrow, thanks!

If they don't have them, check Wal*Mart. I was there yesterday and they
have a lot of their garden stuff out. I looked for chive seeds and they
had LOTS of them. They were 20 cents a pack. Last year they had them
for 10 cents a pack but the ones that they are selling may be a larger
size pack, or, like everything else, they just raised the price. I did
see some 10 cent a/pack of seeds but all of them were "sell by December
2008" (but no chives).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

[IMG] code is On

Help save chive plant tomhooper Edible Gardening 0 21-11-2004 06:52 PM
Req info: Harvesting chive seeds tom hooper Edible Gardening 2 06-10-2004 04:52 PM
Chive pests jess Australia 2 16-02-2004 01:07 AM
Harvesting Chive Seeds & Good Book on Herb Gardening Bunny McElwee Edible Gardening 0 16-04-2003 07:08 PM
Chive Mynde: Usenet Kook and Pathological Stalker BunnERabbit Gardening 0 02-03-2003 08:15 AM