Old 21-02-2009, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default And they're off!

"Kase" wrote...
I may have this years seed potatoes in the garage waiting to be chitted,
but the volunteers from last year are already well under way. I've dug over
last years potato patch today and found a lot of very edible left overs
(quite big lates and second earlies - about 15 kilos in total and I've
still got another 1/4 of the plot to go). But there were quite a few
potatoes that had decided to start growning, and had about 3 inches of root
and 1 inch of stalk. I had half expected them to be totally dead thanks to
this years hard frosts up here in South Manchester, but I would say that
the cold has improved the lates in flavour by quite a lot. This is the
second year that I've stored the potatoes in the ground that they grew in,
and it is two successes in a row - who needs to learn how to build a clamp
;-)

Don't you have slugs in Manchester? We have to get our spuds up before we
lose the lot.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden