Old 21-02-2009, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default And they're off!

I may have this years seed potatoes in the garage waiting to be chitted, but
the volunteers from last year are already well under way. I've dug over last
years potato patch today and found a lot of very edible left overs (quite
big lates and second earlies - about 15 kilos in total and I've still got
another 1/4 of the plot to go). But there were quite a few potatoes that had
decided to start growning, and had about 3 inches of root and 1 inch of
stalk. I had half expected them to be totally dead thanks to this years hard
frosts up here in South Manchester, but I would say that the cold has
improved the lates in flavour by quite a lot. This is the second year that
I've stored the potatoes in the ground that they grew in, and it is two
successes in a row - who needs to learn how to build a clamp ;-)

Kase

Old 21-02-2009, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kase" wrote...
I may have this years seed potatoes in the garage waiting to be chitted,
but the volunteers from last year are already well under way. I've dug over
last years potato patch today and found a lot of very edible left overs
(quite big lates and second earlies - about 15 kilos in total and I've
still got another 1/4 of the plot to go). But there were quite a few
potatoes that had decided to start growning, and had about 3 inches of root
and 1 inch of stalk. I had half expected them to be totally dead thanks to
this years hard frosts up here in South Manchester, but I would say that
the cold has improved the lates in flavour by quite a lot. This is the
second year that I've stored the potatoes in the ground that they grew in,
and it is two successes in a row - who needs to learn how to build a clamp
;-)

Don't you have slugs in Manchester? We have to get our spuds up before we
lose the lot.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-02-2009, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Kase" wrote...
[...]

For me it is a dilemma of 'the least losses'. I grew British Queen as the
second early and it succumbed to blight within about 5 nanoseconds of
producing a crop, but it was a lovely crop of extremely white tubers with no
flaws and even right through to yesterday (21 Feb) the slugs have not
touched it in the ground.

The maincrop was Picasso, which produced a huge crop but tasted vile (like
blight would taste if you could get past the smell!) when I harvested the
first lot, so I left them in the ground meaning to clear them into the
'green' bin for the council to sell to apartment dwellers. Yesterday as I
was finally clearing them I noticed that 2/3 of the crop were still 'clean'
although the rest were like sardine tins for slugs - black slugs, packed
densely inside the tubers. So I tasted a couple of the clean ones and they
were lovely and starchy, with a King Edward flavour - result!

The issue about 'the least losses' is that in the previous 3 years to the 2
where I have left the tubers in the ground, the stored potatoes have rotted
in the middle starting after two weeks and with none left after four weeks.
That doesn't even get me to Christmas! So leaving them in the ground, whilst
unfortunately leaving something for the slugs, provides for me through most
of the winter

Kase

Old 22-02-2009, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kase" wrote ..
"Bob Hobden" wrote..
"Kase" wrote...
[...]

Even though we don't have a cold enough shed to store our spuds in what we
have left are still fine with only the odd one or two beginning to sprout.
Even the Kestral (SE) are still OK.
They shouldn't rot in storage unless they have blight or are badly damaged
with slugs or have been put away wet. After being placed on the floor to dry
we use or throw away all the slugged ones and any that are doubtful,
possibly with blight, before we sack them up into paper sacks. If blight has
been a problem, like last year, we then tip each sack out weekly for the
first month to ensure none are rotting. After that the occasional sniff in
the sack will tell you if something is wrong.
The key is sorting out the rubbish that won't store before sacking up.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-02-2009, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Don't you have slugs in Manchester? We have to get our spuds up before we
lose the lot.

Time to break out the slug nematodes methinks.
Google nemaslug.

Old 22-02-2009, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Crundy" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote
Don't you have slugs in Manchester? We have to get our spuds up before we
lose the lot.

Time to break out the slug nematodes methinks.
Google nemaslug.

Tried it in the past, waste of time and money IME, still got slug damage.
How many sacks of organic spuds can you buy for the price of that stuff?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-02-2009, 01:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Kase" wrote ..
"Bob Hobden" wrote..
"Kase" wrote...
[...]

Yep, undoubtedly it's the blight. Even though I chop off the haulms at the
first sign, have a five year rotation to avoid spores carrying over (I keep
good records), discard all potato, tomato and pepper foliage in the green
bin and then dry the tubers in the sun for half a day (yes we did have some
sun, hard as it may be to believe - lol), store them in the garage (constant
cool temperature in winter) in fruit trays with mesh bottoms, when the
blight has them it finishes them even if they look perfect to start with,
tick, tick, tick, tick, pop - ewww!! It's probably thanks to the nightshades
growing up the trees at the bottom of the garden, and the neighbours
gardens, and their neighbours.

Somehow, for the last two seasons, they have held off the blight much better
in the ground for me. Every potato has a life of 2-4 weeks out of the
ground, so I'll stick with leaving them until I need them and if/when that
is no longer working, I'll try something else - lol

Kase

Old 23-02-2009, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Crundy" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote
Don't you have slugs in Manchester? We have to get our spuds up before
we lose the lot.

Time to break out the slug nematodes methinks.
Google nemaslug.

Tried it in the past, waste of time and money IME, still got slug damage.
How many sacks of organic spuds can you buy for the price of that stuff?

Does it not work very well? Damnit, I was going to try it this year.