Old 23-02-2009, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Orchid Sales

KTTT -

I think it goes deeper than that. There have been numerous discussions about
the AOS on this board. Some have been heated. One thing we all agree on is
that we would like the AOS to succeed.

You are certainly correct that as orchids have become more accessible many
people are buying them to keep only for the length of time they bloom. But
if you are a regular reader of rgo, you know that the majority of
contributors here are serious and passionate about this hobby. Yet many are
not AOS members.

Diana

"KTTT" wrote in message
jtill wrote:
Subject: Top Flowers in US and Canada
Answered By: jdb-ga on 15 Jul 2006 18:20 PDT
Rated:
Hello,

I am responding to your question on the top 3 commercially grown
flowering plants (the industry refers to this category as "potted
flowering plants") in the U.S. and Canada by value and volume,
percentage of thesthat are greenhouse grown, and the top states and
provinces for growing these. The top three potted flowering plants in
the US are poinsettias, orchids and chrysanthemums. In Canada it is
geraniums, poinsettias and chrysanthemums. Everything is grown in
green houses except Hawaii orchids. I calculated from the information
below that subtracting Hawaii's non-greenhouse grown orchids from the
U.S.
nationwide total finds that 85.1% of U.S. commercial potted orchids
are greenhouse grown.

This April 2006 US Dept of Agriculture report on floraculture shows
the largest volume potted flowering plants to be poinsettia, orchid,
then chrysanthemum:

"Potted Flowering Plants:
California accounts for 25 percent of the category's total value.
Poinsettia value, which adds $242 million to this category, is down 2
percent from 2004. The value of Potted Orchids is $144 million, up 11
percent from the previous year. Florist Chrysanthemum value is up 1
percent, to $68.9 million."

http://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/repo...b/floran06.txt

To answer an earlier question I had I found the above information.
With Orchid sales growing why is AOS failing? Strange.

The AOS serves a population of mainly experienced growers, hobbyists. This
population seems to reduce in numbers based on the closing of many
US-based orchid nurseries and the unavailability of high quality orchids,
not mentioning the recent economic downturn.

Today orchid buyers are not AOS readers. They are simply just buying
orchid flowers and throwing away the plants after killing them.