Old 25-02-2009, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] Persephone@NoSpam.com is offline

Default Potting Soil Mixture for Azalea's

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:34:42 -0500, wrote:

Zone 7 - darn it's cold here in Maryland

I'm rooting several azalea's and need to transfer them to larger pots..... so
require a good potting mixture. Looking at filling 24 - 1 gallon containers.

The plants will be kept in these pots for another year or two, before
being planted in ground..

Am I better off buying a few bags (scotts) or is mixing this soil something
a gardner should know how to ?? What type of ingredients are necessary ??

I have plenty of composted soil and leaf mold on hand also some top soil
and acid based fertilizer ( there are several other acid based plants in the landscape).
Also might have some peat left over from last season.

So, would you buy, or would you make your own? What would be the
best mix if you mixed it yourself.

A thought just occurred to me. I have a border of concrete blocks circling
a tree. These blocks have holes in them..... would it be a good idea to
fill the holes with dirt and keep the plants in them ?? This would be something
that gets watered frequently, gets direct morning sun October to May and gets
shade from June to the October leaf fall. I think the concrete blocks would
wick away excess heat during the summer better than plastic pots would.
(If this is workable.... I have a lot of spare hosta's which would thrive under
those conditions... instead of the azalea's)

Thanks in advance for your advice !!

Peter

Yo, Peter!

How come you put an apostrophe in azalia's but not in scotts?
Gentle hint -- it's a plural, not a possessive...

Now, to business. If you have all that wonderful home-made planting
mix on hand, why would you consider store-bought stuff?

My "formula" is about half & half regular soil and compost,
with a goodly helping of vermiculite or pearlite to lighten the mix.

I also throw in about 1/5 to 1/4 worm castings. Pure gold.

You might want to hold off on the fertilizer immediately upon
transplanting. The azalias have enough work adjusting to their new
environment without extra stimulation.

I say wait about two weeks.

What do others think?

Personally, I'm not huge into fertilizer; maybe should be more,
but the real health is supposed to be in the soil.

Again, what do others think?

Concrete blocks for the azalias? I wouldn't. Too risky.
If it's only for a year, and if you can afford terra cotta pots,
I'd go that way. If the expenditure is too much, go ahead
& use the plastic, watering regularly in summer.

Do you intend to circle the tree, whether with concrete
blocks or pots? In any case, it wouldn't be too difficult,
IMHO, to devise a simple shade, perhaps guyed out
from the tree, for the worst heat.

Or, better still, is there a shadier area on your property
where the azalias would be happier?

Interested in how this comes out.

Persephone