Old 24-02-2009, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Potting Soil Mixture for Azalea's

Zone 7 - darn it's cold here in Maryland

I'm rooting several azalea's and need to transfer them to larger pots..... so
require a good potting mixture. Looking at filling 24 - 1 gallon containers.

The plants will be kept in these pots for another year or two, before
being planted in ground..

Am I better off buying a few bags (scotts) or is mixing this soil something
a gardner should know how to ?? What type of ingredients are necessary ??

I have plenty of composted soil and leaf mold on hand also some top soil
and acid based fertilizer ( there are several other acid based plants in the landscape).
Also might have some peat left over from last season.

So, would you buy, or would you make your own? What would be the
best mix if you mixed it yourself.

A thought just occurred to me. I have a border of concrete blocks circling
a tree. These blocks have holes in them..... would it be a good idea to
fill the holes with dirt and keep the plants in them ?? This would be something
that gets watered frequently, gets direct morning sun October to May and gets
shade from June to the October leaf fall. I think the concrete blocks would
wick away excess heat during the summer better than plastic pots would.
(If this is workable.... I have a lot of spare hosta's which would thrive under
those conditions... instead of the azalea's)

Thanks in advance for your advice !!

Peter
Old 24-02-2009, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/24/2009 12:34 PM, wrote:
Zone 7 - darn it's cold here in Maryland

I'm rooting several azalea's and need to transfer them to larger pots..... so
require a good potting mixture. Looking at filling 24 - 1 gallon containers.

The plants will be kept in these pots for another year or two, before
being planted in ground..

Am I better off buying a few bags (scotts) or is mixing this soil something
a gardner should know how to ?? What type of ingredients are necessary ??

I have plenty of composted soil and leaf mold on hand also some top soil
and acid based fertilizer ( there are several other acid based plants in the landscape).
Also might have some peat left over from last season.

See my do-it-yourself potting mix at
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html. However, mixing
this might be more work than can be justified if you are going to plant
the azaleas in the ground.

So, would you buy, or would you make your own? What would be the
best mix if you mixed it yourself.

A thought just occurred to me. I have a border of concrete blocks circling
a tree. These blocks have holes in them..... would it be a good idea to
fill the holes with dirt and keep the plants in them ?? This would be something
that gets watered frequently, gets direct morning sun October to May and gets
shade from June to the October leaf fall. I think the concrete blocks would
wick away excess heat during the summer better than plastic pots would.
(If this is workable.... I have a lot of spare hosta's which would thrive under
those conditions... instead of the azalea's)

What is your climate? Where are you?

I'm concerned that the holes in the blocks might not be large enough for
azaleas, which have extensive surface roots. I have a similar
arrangement around a dwarf tangelo to create a raised bed. I planted
wax-leaf begonias in the holes.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 24-02-2009, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/24/2009 2:19 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/24/2009 12:34 PM, wrote:
[...]

Oops! I now see where you are. Some azaleas can take sun; some require
shade. Just be careful about the variety you choose.

I'm concerned that the holes in the blocks might not be large enough for
azaleas, which have extensive surface roots. I have a similar
arrangement around a dwarf tangelo to create a raised bed. I planted
wax-leaf begonias in the holes.

I would also be concerned about azalea roots having trouble competing
with the tree's roots.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/.

Don't ask "Why is there road rage?" Instead, ask
"Why NOT Road Rage?" or "Why Is There No Such
Thing as Fast Enough?"
http://www.rossde.com/roadrage.html
Old 25-02-2009, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:34:42 -0500, wrote:

[...]

Yo, Peter!

How come you put an apostrophe in azalia's but not in scotts?
Gentle hint -- it's a plural, not a possessive...

Now, to business. If you have all that wonderful home-made planting
mix on hand, why would you consider store-bought stuff?

My "formula" is about half & half regular soil and compost,
with a goodly helping of vermiculite or pearlite to lighten the mix.

I also throw in about 1/5 to 1/4 worm castings. Pure gold.

You might want to hold off on the fertilizer immediately upon
transplanting. The azalias have enough work adjusting to their new
environment without extra stimulation.

I say wait about two weeks.

What do others think?

Personally, I'm not huge into fertilizer; maybe should be more,
but the real health is supposed to be in the soil.

Again, what do others think?

Concrete blocks for the azalias? I wouldn't. Too risky.
If it's only for a year, and if you can afford terra cotta pots,
I'd go that way. If the expenditure is too much, go ahead
& use the plastic, watering regularly in summer.

Do you intend to circle the tree, whether with concrete
blocks or pots? In any case, it wouldn't be too difficult,
IMHO, to devise a simple shade, perhaps guyed out
from the tree, for the worst heat.

Or, better still, is there a shadier area on your property
where the azalias would be happier?

Interested in how this comes out.

Persephone

Old 25-02-2009, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Yo, Peter!

How come you put an apostrophe in azalia's but not in scotts?
Gentle hint -- it's a plural, not a possessive...

Yo, Persephone!

Why do you put an i in azalea. Gentle hint, you misspelled it

Now, to business. If you have all that wonderful home-made planting
mix on hand, why would you consider store-bought stuff?

My "formula" is about half & half regular soil and compost,
with a goodly helping of vermiculite or pearlite to lighten the mix.

I also throw in about 1/5 to 1/4 worm castings. Pure gold.

Sounds good. The most important attribute of a soil mix for azaleas is
drainage. The second is the correct pH. So the correct soil mix
depends upon your watering habits. If you water frequently like
commercial nurseries, you need a special mix such as bark dust that
drains quickly. If you are like me and only water when a plant looks
like it needed watering a couple days ago, then the soil mixes are good.
I like a mixture of top soil and composted peat with some vermiculite or
pearlite. I find it is hard to get a plant that has been grown in bark
dust to adapt to soil.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

http://rhodyman.net/rahome.html
http://rhodyman.net/rabooks.html
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6
Old 25-02-2009, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

I'll top post on this one....

Thanks Dave, for making your recipe available..... can't wait to try it out
and see what happens... It probably is a little too involved for small batches
however, one large basic batch at the beginning of the season can be
stockpiled... and the 'add as necessary' ingredients can be added
before each particular application.

Zone 7.... Maryland.... Over the past 10 years, the temperature range
has been from -5 degrees below zero to high ninties in July and August.
Rainfall has ranged from two, multi-year droughts to average spring and fall rains with
little snowpack. My backyard is swarming with deer, rabbits, squirrels
racoons and groundhogs and unleased dogs (in violation of
local laws).

And yet, plants do somehow manage to survive and even thrive. I lose
a lot also, due to a lot of conditions.... and manage to trade a few.

So THIS is Eden ?? Could use a few more plants !!

Thx....

Peter

Old 25-02-2009, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:17:28 -0500, Stephen Henning

Yo, Peter!

How come you put an apostrophe in azalia's but not in scotts?
Gentle hint -- it's a plural, not a possessive...

Yo, Persephone!

Why do you put an i in azalea. Gentle hint, you misspelled it

'Zounds! Hoist on my own petard!

Persephone

Old 27-02-2009, 12:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

Thanks Persephone and Stephen - your advice was exceedingly helpful
providing guidance as to a proper mixture. Azaleas tend to have a surface
root system, my thoughts were that it would be important to give them something
to hold onto on the surface levels, rather than providing a mixture deeper down
where the roots could penetrate and grow. Your points in drainage versus
watering habits are well taken.

David Ross covered the components which add acidity to the soil in another
post. .

Avast ??? You're being hoisted on a Petard ??? All because you used an " i" instead of
an " e " (with only 5 main vowels to choose from). Stephen you're being a hard task
master.... I didn't get that treatment even in Catholic grade school when flubbing a
word on a paper.

btw the trademark " Scotts " is spelled without an apostrophe.. check it out the next
time you're in the garden center. Thanks to corporate america, possessive's now
become plurals and plurals become misspelled. My bad.

Peter
Old 28-02-2009, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
wrote:

You're being hoisted on a Petard ???

You're dismissed as a grammarian, Peter. Petard isn't a proper noun, and
doesn't need to be capitalized, except at the beginning of a sentence;OP
All because you used an " i" instead
of
an " e " (with only 5 main vowels to choose from). Stephen you're
being a hard task
master.... I didn't get that treatment even in Catholic grade school when
flubbing a
word on a paper.

btw the trademark " Scotts " is spelled without an apostrophe.. check it
out the next
time you're in the garden center.

Thanks to corporate america,

America on the other hand, is a proper noun, and as such requires a
capital "A".
possessive's now
become plurals and plurals become misspelled. My bad.

Not really. Most Americans would love to see corporate American CEOs,
and CFOs lined up against a wall without blindfolds (So that, at least,
they can see what is coming. A courtesy not given to the rest of us.).
Cigarettes, though, still seem like an appropriate metaphor to be
included in this event.

With due diligence, Peter, we'll have you up and writing, and talking
American in no time ;O)
--

Billy
Democrat and Republican Leaders Behind Bars