Old 25-02-2009, 11:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Large Hosta Suggestions

said:

Greetings all from zone 7 - (6 weeks till spring) - Maryland

A question regarding hosta's. 'She who must be obeyed' mentioned that she's
tired of the green and cream vaiaged hosta's that were adorning the walkway
for the past 10 years...(btw, I planted those myself, fed them, divided them
and developed my green thumb with them... there's a little proudness over here).

So, there are several spots in the landscape where a very large specimen Hosta

would
live nicely. Large meaning 3 foot tall, by about 6' around..... I can't remember
the name of the Blue Hosta's that grow that large, but are there other suggestions ??

These are my suggestions. The links are not an endorsement of the supplier, just
convenient illustrations and write-ups.

Really blue and big:

Blue Angel
http://www.paradisegarden.com/shop/p...e=4:very+large

Blue Umbrellas
http://www.nhhostas.com/blue-umbrellas-hosta.htm

Tall and blue:

Krossa Regal
http://www.paradisegarden.com/shop/p...e=4:very+large

Really big and tending toward chartreuse:

Sum and substance
http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/HOSSP.html

Not quite as big as the above, but large and lovely (BONUS! fragrant flowers):

Guacamole (blue w/green subtle variegation)
http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/HOGUP.html

Stained Glass (blue with chartreuse-to-gold variegation)
http://www.directsourcehostas.com/Stained_Glass.html

These last two are favorites of mine.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored