Old 24-02-2009, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Large Hosta Suggestions

Greetings all from zone 7 - (6 weeks till spring) - Maryland

A question regarding hosta's. 'She who must be obeyed' mentioned that she's
tired of the green and cream vaiaged hosta's that were adorning the walkway
for the past 10 years...(btw, I planted those myself, fed them, divided them
and developed my green thumb with them... there's a little proudness over here).

So, there are several spots in the landscape where a very large specimen Hosta would
live nicely. Large meaning 3 foot tall, by about 6' around..... I can't remember
the name of the Blue Hosta's that grow that large, but are there other suggestions ??

Where would be a good place to purchase these plants Mail order works for me,
as none of the local Big Boxes or Garden centers have much of a selection, except
for the usual plants....

It's 6 weeks till spring.....I need to get out and do something for the garden.

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated...

Thanks !!

Peter
Old 24-02-2009, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Elegans comes to mind.

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/cgi-l...egans&name.x=1
9&name.y=6&name=Go

May be cheaper some where else. White flower does have other blue
hosta's use them as a visual plant dictionary.

Bill who likes hosta mixed with caladiums especially white christmas.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 25-02-2009, 11:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

said:

Greetings all from zone 7 - (6 weeks till spring) - Maryland

A question regarding hosta's. 'She who must be obeyed' mentioned that she's
tired of the green and cream vaiaged hosta's that were adorning the walkway
for the past 10 years...(btw, I planted those myself, fed them, divided them
and developed my green thumb with them... there's a little proudness over here).

So, there are several spots in the landscape where a very large specimen Hosta

would
live nicely. Large meaning 3 foot tall, by about 6' around..... I can't remember
the name of the Blue Hosta's that grow that large, but are there other suggestions ??

These are my suggestions. The links are not an endorsement of the supplier, just
convenient illustrations and write-ups.

Really blue and big:

Blue Angel
http://www.paradisegarden.com/shop/p...e=4:very+large

Blue Umbrellas
http://www.nhhostas.com/blue-umbrellas-hosta.htm

Tall and blue:

Krossa Regal
http://www.paradisegarden.com/shop/p...e=4:very+large

Really big and tending toward chartreuse:

Sum and substance
http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/HOSSP.html

Not quite as big as the above, but large and lovely (BONUS! fragrant flowers):

Guacamole (blue w/green subtle variegation)
http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/HOGUP.html

Stained Glass (blue with chartreuse-to-gold variegation)
http://www.directsourcehostas.com/Stained_Glass.html

These last two are favorites of mine.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 25-02-2009, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/25/09 6:36 AM, in article
, "Pat Kiewicz"
wrote:

said:

[...]

I'll add Honey Bells to the list. ( you can google on your own) Large and
very rich green tone here in NH. And quite fragrant

And I may have to add Stained Glass to my garden. That is lovely.

Cheryl

Old 26-02-2009, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Yes, isn't that Stained Glass just gorgeous!

Old 26-02-2009, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

There is only a handful of plants I want to add, and you added one.

Of course, I have to wait and see how much shade is left now the December
ice storm took three big branches from over my hosta garden

Old 26-02-2009, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ostrander" wrote:

Yes, isn't that Stained Glass just gorgeous!

Stained Glass (blue with chartreuse-to-gold variegation)
http://www.directsourcehostas.com/Stained_Glass.html

Cheryl

I would add white Christmas to your hosta's. Brightens up dark areas
and I treat them as annuals here.

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/40650-product.html

A lot cheaper elsewhere . Like 5 for $10.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Do not look at this. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tidewatermuse/134222791/