Old 25-02-2009, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
aquachimp aquachimp is offline

Default Mushy Agapanthus

On Feb 24, 9:40*pm, Sacha wrote:
Our evergreen Agapanthus leaves have turned to mush. *Anyone any idea if
we've lost the plants forever, or will they sprout again? *As for an Arum
lily in a pot....... *;-(
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Same here (west Belgium). White ags. Stayed out in a pot last year
without a problem. This year they took a wallop but looked like they
would make it so I thought it best to leave them out seeing, as I
assumed, it wouldn't get so bad again. Wrong!

I was on the road a lot before Christmas, so didn't get to protect my
rather large (4m +) banana until Christmas day. I had turned a compost
bin into a bin right nest to it, just for that extra bit of warmth for
the roots.
Then I put that Fleece stuff around it and then starw up to as high as
it would stay put.
I looked at it one morning when it was at least -10 C and it was
standing up fine.
Little did I think that was just because it was frozen to the point
that it remained standing all wrapped up. When the temperature got
back up it simply fell over.
I lost a broom, possible an olive, possible a Hebe and half a
Salvia... amongst other things.