Old 24-02-2009, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mushy Agapanthus

Our evergreen Agapanthus leaves have turned to mush. Anyone any idea if
we've lost the plants forever, or will they sprout again? As for an Arum
lily in a pot....... ;-(
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-02-2009, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 20:40:22 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Our evergreen Agapanthus leaves have turned to mush. Anyone any idea if
we've lost the plants forever, or will they sprout again? As for an Arum
lily in a pot....... ;-(

Mine are just the same. They usually do the same each year and
recover, but it has been extra cold. Only time will tell. It will be
interesting to see how different areas have been affected.

I heard (on GQT?) that arums (Zantedeschias?) in pots, as mine is,
which get frosted like this, do not flower as well, due to the
shortened growing season. Mine had one flower last year and one the
year before. I can't move the pot, and just didn't bother with the
agapanthus.

Pam in Bristol
Old 25-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_3_] View Post
Our evergreen Agapanthus leaves have turned to mush. Anyone any idea if
we've lost the plants forever, or will they sprout again? As for an Arum
lily in a pot....... ;-(
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
Did they get snowed on? The one thing they loathe.
Old 25-02-2009, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Our evergreen Agapanthus leaves have turned to mush. Anyone any idea if
we've lost the plants forever, or will they sprout again? As for an Arum
lily in a pot....... ;-(
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I have six agapanthus planted in my front garden as young plants 3 years
ago. No problem with them at all overwintering in the ground till this year.
All the leaves have turned a grey-white colour and look quite sickly.
Earlier this month the temperatures did fall to -9c overnight on a few
occasions so colder than the previous few winters. Guess I'll just have to
keep digits crossed as well! Good news though is that my "Lady Boothby"
fuschias seem to have survived ok in the ground with new bud shoots
appearing already! So much for them not being hardy!!

Clive in Kent

Old 25-02-2009, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/2/09 13:26, in article ,
"beccabunga" wrote:

'Sacha[_3_ Wrote:
;831410']Our evergreen Agapanthus leaves have turned to mush. Anyone
any idea if
we've lost the plants forever, or will they sprout again? As for an
Arum
lily in a pot....... ;-(
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Did they get snowed on? The one thing they loathe.

I'd be very surprised if the amount of snow we had here could have done much
to them. It was very sparse and didn't lie for long. It's possible, of
course but they'd have to be real wimps! ;-)

Old 25-02-2009, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 24, 9:40*pm, Sacha wrote:
Our evergreen Agapanthus leaves have turned to mush. *Anyone any idea if
we've lost the plants forever, or will they sprout again? *As for an Arum
lily in a pot....... *;-(
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Same here (west Belgium). White ags. Stayed out in a pot last year
without a problem. This year they took a wallop but looked like they
would make it so I thought it best to leave them out seeing, as I
assumed, it wouldn't get so bad again. Wrong!

I was on the road a lot before Christmas, so didn't get to protect my
rather large (4m +) banana until Christmas day. I had turned a compost
bin into a bin right nest to it, just for that extra bit of warmth for
the roots.
Then I put that Fleece stuff around it and then starw up to as high as
it would stay put.
I looked at it one morning when it was at least -10 C and it was
standing up fine.
Little did I think that was just because it was frozen to the point
that it remained standing all wrapped up. When the temperature got
back up it simply fell over.
I lost a broom, possible an olive, possible a Hebe and half a
Salvia... amongst other things.
Old 25-02-2009, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Our evergreen Agapanthus leaves have turned to mush.

Mine are just the same. They usually do the same each year and
recover,

do you pull the mushy bits off or leave them? Mine have also gone mushy but
I'm not sure what to do about them.

--
Hayley
gardening on clay in Somerset

Old 28-02-2009, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 24, 9:40*pm, Sacha wrote:
Our evergreen Agapanthus leaves have turned to mush. *Anyone any idea if
we've lost the plants forever, or will they sprout again? *As for an Arum
lily in a pot....... *;-(
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Just to update. Today mine were looking drier. I pulled of the ex-mush
and noticed the base tufts was not mushy. Quite firm actually. So,
fingers crossed....

"Mushy Potatoes" - anyone know why? Rachel Aitch United Kingdom 25 14-11-2006 01:36 PM
soggy, mushy tomatoes [email protected] North Carolina 13 05-08-2006 07:02 PM
Mushy Peaches do not spam Gardening 12 14-08-2004 04:39 PM
Mushy Peaches do not spam Edible Gardening 12 14-08-2004 04:39 PM
mushy psuedobulbs on a miltonia Diane Mancino Orchids 0 27-04-2003 04:20 PM