Old 26-02-2009, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\)[_276_] Robert \(Plymouth\)[_276_] is offline

Default Patience, young Jedi

"Crundy" wrote in message
et...
OK, so I should point out that I'm the impatient type. I have my spuds
chitting and have started my garlic off inside in pots to give them a head
start with the warmth. I was wondering if I need to start anything else
off now? I only have one of those little zip up greenhouses (just to get
things started) and am growing everything in pots / growbags on my patio.
I have a magic airing cupboard which causes any seeds left to germinate in
there to grow :-)
This year I'm growing:

Potatoes
Onions (sets)
Butternut Squash
Garlic
Tomatoes
Aubergines
Peas
"Firetounge" beans
Climbing Corgette
Bolthardy Beetroot
Pick-and-come-again lettuce leaves
Radishes (dotted inbetween other things)

Do any of these need starting now, or should I shut the hell up and wait
until mid-march?

Garlic should go out in the autumn as it benefits from a cold winter...and
we've had one! I put my onion sets out last weekend but they can go in March
or April. Potatoes can go in now but the down side of that is that you have
to keep covering the tops against late frost so I wait until March. I sowed
tomatoes in January so I would definitely sow those now. If you have round
seeded peas such as Meteor they can go in now but wrinkly ones can go in
March/April and sow some in succession too. Lettuce now and keep sowing
another pinch of them when you plant them out until the end of the season.
Radish now too and through the season. The other seeds in April as the
weather gets warmer and plant courgettes and squash out after late frost has
finished. Location will affect any of these dates. We are milder here,
usually.