Old 26-02-2009, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Patience, young Jedi

OK, so I should point out that I'm the impatient type. I have my spuds
chitting and have started my garlic off inside in pots to give them a head
start with the warmth. I was wondering if I need to start anything else off
now? I only have one of those little zip up greenhouses (just to get things
started) and am growing everything in pots / growbags on my patio. I have a
magic airing cupboard which causes any seeds left to germinate in there to
grow :-)
This year I'm growing:

Potatoes
Onions (sets)
Butternut Squash
Garlic
Tomatoes
Aubergines
Peas
"Firetounge" beans
Climbing Corgette
Bolthardy Beetroot
Pick-and-come-again lettuce leaves
Radishes (dotted inbetween other things)

Do any of these need starting now, or should I shut the hell up and wait
until mid-march?

Old 26-02-2009, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Crundy" contains these words:

OK, so I should point out that I'm the impatient type. I have my spuds
chitting and have started my garlic off inside in pots to give them a head
start with the warmth. I was wondering if I need to start anything else off
now? I only have one of those little zip up greenhouses (just to get things
started) and am growing everything in pots / growbags on my patio. I have a
magic airing cupboard which causes any seeds left to germinate in there to
grow :-)
This year I'm growing:

Potatoes

Good Friday

Onions (sets)

When you do plant them, protect them from blackbirds, which will pull them up.

Butternut Squash

Plenty of time yet

Garlic

Probably too late, but if not, get them in yesterday

Tomatoes

Start under glass February is what I aim to do.

Aubergines

No idea (horrible pithy, yuchy, characterless things!), but I'd treat as
per tomatoes - and sweet peppers.

Peas

Read the destructions on the packet(s) - and beware of slugs.

"Firetounge" beans
Climbing Corgette

Plenty of time yet

Bolthardy Beetroot
Pick-and-come-again lettuce leaves
Radishes (dotted inbetween other things)

Whenever you like, and all through the year.

--
Rusty
Old 26-02-2009, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Crundy" wrote in message
et...
[...]

Garlic should go out in the autumn as it benefits from a cold winter...and
we've had one! I put my onion sets out last weekend but they can go in March
or April. Potatoes can go in now but the down side of that is that you have
to keep covering the tops against late frost so I wait until March. I sowed
tomatoes in January so I would definitely sow those now. If you have round
seeded peas such as Meteor they can go in now but wrinkly ones can go in
March/April and sow some in succession too. Lettuce now and keep sowing
another pinch of them when you plant them out until the end of the season.
Radish now too and through the season. The other seeds in April as the
weather gets warmer and plant courgettes and squash out after late frost has
finished. Location will affect any of these dates. We are milder here,
usually.

Old 26-02-2009, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Crundy" wrote ...
OK, so I should point out that I'm the impatient type. I have my spuds
chitting and have started my garlic off inside in pots to give them a head
start with the warmth. I was wondering if I need to start anything else
off now? I only have one of those little zip up greenhouses (just to get
things started) and am growing everything in pots / growbags on my patio.
I have a magic airing cupboard which causes any seeds left to germinate in
there to grow :-)

Calm down and learn some patience young Crundy if you want to be a
successful gardener. I haven't even started chitting our spuds properly yet.
Garlic should be planted in the soil outside in Sept/Oct as, being as tough
as old boots, it will take any winter and actually benefit from some cold.

This year I'm growing:

Potatoes
Onions (sets)
Butternut Squash
Garlic
Tomatoes
Aubergines
Peas
"Firetounge" beans
Climbing Corgette
Bolthardy Beetroot
Pick-and-come-again lettuce leaves
Radishes (dotted inbetween other things)

Do any of these need starting now, or should I shut the hell up and wait
until mid-march?

No they don't.
Start chitting your spuds.
Sets can go outside in the soil at the end of March.
Butternut Squash seed can be planted in pots middle/end of April for
planting out Chelsea time. (take up a lot of room)
Tomatoes likewise but a month earlier if you intend growing them under
cover.
Aubergines (good luck!) like Toms. (outside they need a hot summer and lots
of water/feed).
Peas depends on variety, we only grow earlies, so read the packet.
Beans, plant in pots beginning of May for planting out Chelsea time.
Courgette same as Squash.
Beetroot, I've forgotten (as wife doesn't like it we don't grow it) so read
the packet.
Lettuce you can plant in a seed tray an time now IME and plant out when
ready, quite tough, I planted some seedlings out last autumn just to try and
they haven't died. (don't look too good though)
Radish start planting a few end of March and continue at 3 week intervals
until mid summer.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-02-2009, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 26, 12:46*pm, "Crundy" wrote:

Do any of these need starting now, or should I shut the hell up and wait
until mid-march?

I hardly dare mention this in such august company, but my dear, old,
grumpy uncle (who rarely agreed with grandfather) told me when I was a
slip of a lad, "Plant by the weather, boy, not by the calendar." When
I had the audacity to show him what my gardening book said, he
replied, "Pah! plants can't read, boy!" So just keep that in mind and
you won't go far wrong.