Old 27-02-2009, 06:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwin dubren sherwin dubren is offline

Default Newbie question

SteveB wrote:
Today, we went to the hardware store and bought a lot of seeds of various
kinds. In the past, we have bought live plants at nurseries. We're new to
gardening, so didn't have great success, but want to try it again. Would it
be better to just plant these seeds directly in prepared ground, or get some
peat pots and give them a head start in a protected area. We are past the
frost, or at least I believe so. I am in extreme SW Utah, not sure even of
which zone, as it is listed differently in different books. Town:
Toquerville. Elev. 3700'

Help appreciated. We're going to have some helpers tomorrow, and will run
some new lines, and get the irrigation water system kicked off for this
year.

Steve

You may be through the frost ( hard to believe in Utah now ), but things
like tomatoes need really warm soil to get started. Certain plants do
need a protected environment to get started.

One big advantage of planting indoors is that it gives you a longer
growing season. Less chance of your plants getting caught by an early
winter or late fall frost. Besides, it's lots of fun to watch them grow.

Sherwin