Old 27-02-2009, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Newbie question

Today, we went to the hardware store and bought a lot of seeds of various
kinds. In the past, we have bought live plants at nurseries. We're new to
gardening, so didn't have great success, but want to try it again. Would it
be better to just plant these seeds directly in prepared ground, or get some
peat pots and give them a head start in a protected area. We are past the
frost, or at least I believe so. I am in extreme SW Utah, not sure even of
which zone, as it is listed differently in different books. Town:
Toquerville. Elev. 3700'

Help appreciated. We're going to have some helpers tomorrow, and will run
some new lines, and get the irrigation water system kicked off for this
year.

Steve

Old 27-02-2009, 06:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

SteveB wrote:
Today, we went to the hardware store and bought a lot of seeds of various
kinds. In the past, we have bought live plants at nurseries. We're new to
gardening, so didn't have great success, but want to try it again. Would it
be better to just plant these seeds directly in prepared ground, or get some
peat pots and give them a head start in a protected area. We are past the
frost, or at least I believe so. I am in extreme SW Utah, not sure even of
which zone, as it is listed differently in different books. Town:
Toquerville. Elev. 3700'

Help appreciated. We're going to have some helpers tomorrow, and will run
some new lines, and get the irrigation water system kicked off for this
year.

Steve

You may be through the frost ( hard to believe in Utah now ), but things
like tomatoes need really warm soil to get started. Certain plants do
need a protected environment to get started.

One big advantage of planting indoors is that it gives you a longer
growing season. Less chance of your plants getting caught by an early
winter or late fall frost. Besides, it's lots of fun to watch them grow.

Sherwin
Old 27-02-2009, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

SteveB wrote:
Today, we went to the hardware store and bought a lot of seeds of
various kinds. In the past, we have bought live plants at nurseries.
We're new to gardening, so didn't have great success, but want to try
it again. Would it be better to just plant these seeds directly in
prepared ground, or get some peat pots and give them a head start in
a protected area. We are past the frost, or at least I believe so. I am
in extreme SW Utah, not sure even of which zone, as it is listed
differently in different books. Town: Toquerville. Elev. 3700'

Help appreciated. We're going to have some helpers tomorrow, and
will run some new lines, and get the irrigation water system kicked
off for this year.

Steve

It depends on the type. Some are better planted in a seed tray and then
planted out as seedlings, others go better sown direct. Check the
instructions on the packet.

David

Old 28-02-2009, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 18:43:31 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

Would it
be better to just plant these seeds directly in prepared ground, or get some
peat pots and give them a head start in a protected area.

The jury may be out on this still. Tomatoes that come up volunteer
seem to do as well as transplants, for me. Same for some herbs.

I wonder why? Perhaps transplant shock is a variable. Then there is
rotation of the plant for sun light. I mark plants for transplant so
the light is the same. Then there is the earth and nurturing or rotting
about that says grow amongst all the dead and decaying. Surely gardening
is a mystery. Plant a seed and it rots but may revolt and go for the
light.

Bill

The big advantage to starting seedlings is being able to do something
when you really want to be outside playing in the soil! ;-)

Watching and nurturing your babies in peat pots is satisfying and a
learning experience as you are daliy watching their early development.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 08-03-2009, 01:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

My one neophyte lesson is don't forget to harden off the seedlings before
you plant them. I haven't had much luck with growing my own seedlings and
replanting until last year. Every day that it would be reasonably warm and
sunny, I put the seedlings outside and brought them back in at night. If
you don't do this, the shock of being outdoors often kills the seedlings.
Some things have been easy to plant outside in coastal RI. These include
peas, beans, squash, pumpkins, swiss chard, sunflowers and flowers that self
seed.

Jim
"SteveB" wrote in message
Today, we went to the hardware store and bought a lot of seeds of various
kinds. In the past, we have bought live plants at nurseries. We're new
to gardening, so didn't have great success, but want to try it again.
Would it be better to just plant these seeds directly in prepared ground,
or get some peat pots and give them a head start in a protected area. We
are past the frost, or at least I believe so. I am in extreme SW Utah,
not sure even of which zone, as it is listed differently in different
books. Town: Toquerville. Elev. 3700'

Help appreciated. We're going to have some helpers tomorrow, and will run
some new lines, and get the irrigation water system kicked off for this
year.

Steve

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] Newbie question Jim Lewis Bonsai 7 03-09-2003 01:42 AM
Newbie Potato Tire Question Richard Lovering Edible Gardening 5 27-07-2003 11:02 AM
[IBC] Repotting- Newbie question Luis Fontanills Bonsai 6 01-04-2003 07:20 AM
Repotting- Newbie question Buridan Bonsai 0 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Newbie question Buridan Bonsai 3 26-01-2003 07:53 PM