Old 27-02-2009, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default best for winter interest?

On 26/2/09 22:34, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

Well, it's been a long and miserable winter in the garden. Even
the grass has lost its green.

I wandered around last week admiring the overlap of the late
winter and early spring: crocuses, snowdrops still full,
witch-hazel going strong.

My basic conclusion is that winter can't be over soon enough.

Still, I'm worried about next year, and so I'd like to brighten
it up a bit.

What's your favourite plant/shrub/tree for winter interest?

I enjoy the usual Cornus alba cultivars, various red or snakebark
maples, twisted hazel, some willows. But it's not enough, what more can
I plant to brighten up the dim winter days?

-E

Some Camellias bloom very early, before and around Christmas. We have a
Coronilla glauca which has somehow kept going for months and if you can find
it the variegated Rhamnus gives a splash of colour with its pretty leaves.
I say 'if you can find it', because it's a brute to propagate. The little
white flowers and the fabulous scent of Sarcococca confusa and S.
hookerianum are worth their weight in gold in a winter garden

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com