Old 26-02-2009, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default best for winter interest?

Well, it's been a long and miserable winter in the garden. Even
the grass has lost its green.

I wandered around last week admiring the overlap of the late
winter and early spring: crocuses, snowdrops still full,
witch-hazel going strong.

My basic conclusion is that winter can't be over soon enough.

Still, I'm worried about next year, and so I'd like to brighten
it up a bit.

What's your favourite plant/shrub/tree for winter interest?

I enjoy the usual Cornus alba cultivars, various red or snakebark
maples, twisted hazel, some willows. But it's not enough, what more can
I plant to brighten up the dim winter days?

-E
Old 26-02-2009, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Emery Davis contains these words:

Well, it's been a long and miserable winter in the garden. Even
the grass has lost its green.

I wandered around last week admiring the overlap of the late
winter and early spring: crocuses, snowdrops still full,
witch-hazel going strong.

My basic conclusion is that winter can't be over soon enough.

Still, I'm worried about next year, and so I'd like to brighten
it up a bit.

What's your favourite plant/shrub/tree for winter interest?

Christmas rose, winter viburnum, aconites, and I have little irises and
anemones in bloom - but this is due to buying the bulbs at knock-down
prices well after their planting time.

I enjoy the usual Cornus alba cultivars, various red or snakebark
maples, twisted hazel, some willows. But it's not enough, what more can
I plant to brighten up the dim winter days?

Horsetail, couch grass, ground elder, convolvulus, oh, the list is
endless - hours of honest fun digging them up again. Unfortunately, I
can't recommend Japanese knotweed, as propagating it is illegal.

--
Rusty
Old 27-02-2009, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Emery Davis contains these words:

Well, it's been a long and miserable winter in the garden. Even
the grass has lost its green.

I wandered around last week admiring the overlap of the late
winter and early spring: crocuses, snowdrops still full,
witch-hazel going strong.

My basic conclusion is that winter can't be over soon enough.

Still, I'm worried about next year, and so I'd like to brighten
it up a bit.

What's your favourite plant/shrub/tree for winter interest?

Christmas rose, winter viburnum, aconites, and I have little irises and
anemones in bloom - but this is due to buying the bulbs at knock-down
prices well after their planting time.

well yes, I do have some Hellebores going now, the problem is that they
were really late this year. No where near Christmas! Also winter
viburnum, I've got one that has a very sweet scent and blooms
occasionally during the winter thaws. Can't remember what it's called.

Viburnum tinus is a nice shrub for winter, I could probably find a place
for one.

I enjoy the usual Cornus alba cultivars, various red or snakebark
maples, twisted hazel, some willows. But it's not enough, what more can
I plant to brighten up the dim winter days?

Horsetail, couch grass, ground elder, convolvulus, oh, the list is
endless - hours of honest fun digging them up again. Unfortunately, I
can't recommend Japanese knotweed, as propagating it is illegal.

LOL, thanks so much. Don't have horsetail, I'd better get some in.

Bindweed is nice because of the big fat roots, but too breakable when
the soil is heavy. I prefer digging it in dryer weather.

Don't forget creeping buttercup; we have acid soil. Not to mention
nettle and bramble! (Nettle is good fun to dig, very satisfying.)

-E
Old 27-02-2009, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Emery Davis contains these words:

well yes, I do have some Hellebores going now, the problem is that they
were really late this year. No where near Christmas! Also winter
viburnum, I've got one that has a very sweet scent and blooms
occasionally during the winter thaws. Can't remember what it's called.

Viburnum tinus is a nice shrub for winter, I could probably find a place
for one.

When I were a lad we 'ad eacres of the stuff, 'appen. It was known as
Laurus tinus in the olden days, but it seems to have mutated.

I enjoy the usual Cornus alba cultivars, various red or snakebark
maples, twisted hazel, some willows. But it's not enough, what more can
I plant to brighten up the dim winter days?

Horsetail, couch grass, ground elder, convolvulus, oh, the list is
endless - hours of honest fun digging them up again. Unfortunately, I
can't recommend Japanese knotweed, as propagating it is illegal.

LOL, thanks so much. Don't have horsetail, I'd better get some in.

Bindweed is nice because of the big fat roots, but too breakable when
the soil is heavy. I prefer digging it in dryer weather.

Don't forget creeping buttercup; we have acid soil. Not to mention
nettle and bramble! (Nettle is good fun to dig, very satisfying.)

note to self

Must get some.

/note

Where do you get it? Garden centre, or online?

D&RFC

--
Rusty

Old 27-02-2009, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
Well, it's been a long and miserable winter in the garden. Even
the grass has lost its green.

I wandered around last week admiring the overlap of the late
winter and early spring: crocuses, snowdrops still full,
witch-hazel going strong.

My basic conclusion is that winter can't be over soon enough.

Still, I'm worried about next year, and so I'd like to brighten
it up a bit.

What's your favourite plant/shrub/tree for winter interest?

I enjoy the usual Cornus alba cultivars, various red or snakebark
maples, twisted hazel, some willows. But it's not enough, what more can I
plant to brighten up the dim winter days?

-E

I like to add Winter Aconite (Eranthis Hyemalis) and Cyclmen coum to my
winter-flowering bulbs; and I have the lovely blue Anemone blanda coming on
just now, plus some of the better behaved celandines.

Hellebores are good, although they're late winter into spring; even when the
flowers have finished, the foliage is still good. In a mild winter (not
this one, then!), Pulmonarias can make an early start and are excellent
early bee plants. The same can be said for primroses (Primula vulgaris).

As for shrubs, I grow Mahonia japonica, Jasminum nudiflorum, Sarcococca
hookeriana, Chaenomeles spp (late winter flowering, but excellent - nice to
get away from all yellow flowers!). Sadly, I lost my Hamemelis, but intend
to replace it. For bark, I have birch (take your pick!) and Cornus sibirica
alba. On my wish list are Prunus subhirtella 'Autumnalis' rosea and one of
the winter honeysuckles (Lonicera sp.). I also have many berrying shrubs
and trees; the berries may not last all winter, but they're good while they
last and good for the birds when they don't! Favourite all-round tree (May
blossom, autumn foliage colour, red berries) is Crataegus x persimilis
Prunifolia.

Spider

Old 27-02-2009, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Emery Davis writes

What's your favourite plant/shrub/tree for winter interest?

I enjoy the usual Cornus alba cultivars, various red or snakebark
maples, twisted hazel, some willows. But it's not enough, what more
can I plant to brighten up the dim winter days?

Depends what you mean by 'winter' - is it Dec/Jan which is the problem,
or is it Feb/Mar/April where it all seems to be dragging on too far.

Some of the obvious things are good - winter jasmine, which starts late
November and keeps going to Feb, Viburnum bodnantense again flowers all
through the season and with perfume. Prunus subhirtella is later to
start - mine are now in full bloom. Hamamelis are cheerful and
uplifting. Cornus mas is a bit too understated.

Betula jaquemontii is white almost to the end of the new shoots so looks
really good in summer.

I find it's nice too to have smaller things around - eg cyclamen - as
it gives a reason to go and walk round the garden even on a miserable
day.

--
Kay