Old 27-02-2009, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider Spider is offline

Default best for winter interest?

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
Well, it's been a long and miserable winter in the garden. Even
the grass has lost its green.

I wandered around last week admiring the overlap of the late
winter and early spring: crocuses, snowdrops still full,
witch-hazel going strong.

My basic conclusion is that winter can't be over soon enough.

Still, I'm worried about next year, and so I'd like to brighten
it up a bit.

What's your favourite plant/shrub/tree for winter interest?

I enjoy the usual Cornus alba cultivars, various red or snakebark
maples, twisted hazel, some willows. But it's not enough, what more can I
plant to brighten up the dim winter days?

-E

I like to add Winter Aconite (Eranthis Hyemalis) and Cyclmen coum to my
winter-flowering bulbs; and I have the lovely blue Anemone blanda coming on
just now, plus some of the better behaved celandines.

Hellebores are good, although they're late winter into spring; even when the
flowers have finished, the foliage is still good. In a mild winter (not
this one, then!), Pulmonarias can make an early start and are excellent
early bee plants. The same can be said for primroses (Primula vulgaris).

As for shrubs, I grow Mahonia japonica, Jasminum nudiflorum, Sarcococca
hookeriana, Chaenomeles spp (late winter flowering, but excellent - nice to
get away from all yellow flowers!). Sadly, I lost my Hamemelis, but intend
to replace it. For bark, I have birch (take your pick!) and Cornus sibirica
alba. On my wish list are Prunus subhirtella 'Autumnalis' rosea and one of
the winter honeysuckles (Lonicera sp.). I also have many berrying shrubs
and trees; the berries may not last all winter, but they're good while they
last and good for the birds when they don't! Favourite all-round tree (May
blossom, autumn foliage colour, red berries) is Crataegus x persimilis
Prunifolia.

Spider