Old 27-02-2009, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default best for winter interest?

Emery Davis writes

What's your favourite plant/shrub/tree for winter interest?

I enjoy the usual Cornus alba cultivars, various red or snakebark
maples, twisted hazel, some willows. But it's not enough, what more
can I plant to brighten up the dim winter days?

Depends what you mean by 'winter' - is it Dec/Jan which is the problem,
or is it Feb/Mar/April where it all seems to be dragging on too far.

Some of the obvious things are good - winter jasmine, which starts late
November and keeps going to Feb, Viburnum bodnantense again flowers all
through the season and with perfume. Prunus subhirtella is later to
start - mine are now in full bloom. Hamamelis are cheerful and
uplifting. Cornus mas is a bit too understated.

Betula jaquemontii is white almost to the end of the new shoots so looks
really good in summer.

I find it's nice too to have smaller things around - eg cyclamen - as
it gives a reason to go and walk round the garden even on a miserable
day.

--
Kay