Old 27-02-2009, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
BD BD is offline

Default daff's and hyacynths are peeking up!

"John McGaw" wrote in message
John McGaw wrote:
BD wrote:
We've had a long, hard winter. Due to be in the teens and 20's again
this weekend....but I saw some green!!!

Pittsburgh, Zone 6

I was up in Belle Vernon for two weeks because of a family emergency and
I didn't notice anything close to blooming -- maybe nights getting down
to the low teens had a hand in that. When I got back here last Tuesday I
found that a considerable number of unidentified yellow daffodils were
blooming. Same with the crocus that pop up in the lawn. Then this morning
I noticed that the Ice Follies daffodils were popping open along the
driveway. The only bad thing is that they last for such a short time and
it will be a long gap until the daylilies start to bloom.

Just to follow up, when I went outside to blow a few leaves from the
driveway I noticed that the hyacinths are up. I also noticed that the
location in the front of the house where I _thought_ I had dug up the
daffodils is just full of them. Clearly I did a bad job. Guess I'll have
to try again this year after the foliage dies back (but before it
separates, so I have a better chance of finding the bulbs).

My friends/neighbors bought me a big box of tulip bulbs at Schiphol
Airport in Amsterdam on the way back home from a tour and I hurriedly got
them into the ground late last year. At least a few of them are poking
through so I guess I got them into the ground in time and deep enough.

Daylilys are peeking through the new mulch but they were still green when
I put the mulch on this winter so that isn't surprising. The old-style
flag irises are up through the mulch too but just a bit. No telling what
else is happening out there but since I tend to plant bulbs randomly there
is no telling what will show up or where.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Nothing here is blooming,or even close! I just have about an inch of green!