Old 27-02-2009, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
BD BD is offline

Default daff's and hyacynths are peeking up!

We've had a long, hard winter. Due to be in the teens and 20's again this
weekend....but I saw some green!!!

Pittsburgh, Zone 6

Old 27-02-2009, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

BD wrote:
We've had a long, hard winter. Due to be in the teens and 20's again this
weekend....but I saw some green!!!

Pittsburgh, Zone 6

I was up in Belle Vernon for two weeks because of a family emergency and I
didn't notice anything close to blooming -- maybe nights getting down to
the low teens had a hand in that. When I got back here last Tuesday I found
that a considerable number of unidentified yellow daffodils were blooming.
Same with the crocus that pop up in the lawn. Then this morning I noticed
that the Ice Follies daffodils were popping open along the driveway. The
only bad thing is that they last for such a short time and it will be a
long gap until the daylilies start to bloom.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 27-02-2009, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Nan Nan is offline

On Feb 26, 11:49*pm, "BD" wrote:
We've had a long, hard winter. *Due to be in the teens and 20's again this
weekend....but I saw some green!!!

Pittsburgh, Zone 6

We too in DE have daffodils popping up and showing their buds. And I'm
hearing birds singing different songs as they do in spring. The buds
are swelling on the trees.
Soon, warmth, sun, flowers, green, and the sound of lawnmowers and
weed whackers. Can't wait til spring is here!!
Nan
Old 27-02-2009, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

BD wrote:
We've had a long, hard winter. Due to be in the teens and 20's again this
weekend....but I saw some green!!!

Pittsburgh, Zone 6

I was looking around this morning and I have a lot of stuff popping up.
Like you, we still have some cold weather coming but it a few weeks it
should very colorful in my garden. I planted over 700 new bulbs
(Tulips, Hyacinths, and other spring bulbs) last fall and I am really
looking forward to spring.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 27-02-2009, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/26/2009 8:49 PM, BD wrote:
We've had a long, hard winter. Due to be in the teens and 20's again this
weekend....but I saw some green!!!

Pittsburgh, Zone 6

I have two different varieties of narcissus (which includes daffodils)
in bloom. I also have crocuses and grape hyacinths. (I don't grow
actual hyacinths because their perfume irritates my hay fever.) For a
complete list of what's blooming in my garden now, see
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_bloom.html.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 27-02-2009, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

John McGaw wrote:
BD wrote:
We've had a long, hard winter. Due to be in the teens and 20's again
this weekend....but I saw some green!!!

Pittsburgh, Zone 6

I was up in Belle Vernon for two weeks because of a family emergency and
I didn't notice anything close to blooming -- maybe nights getting down
to the low teens had a hand in that. When I got back here last Tuesday I
found that a considerable number of unidentified yellow daffodils were
blooming. Same with the crocus that pop up in the lawn. Then this
morning I noticed that the Ice Follies daffodils were popping open along
the driveway. The only bad thing is that they last for such a short time
and it will be a long gap until the daylilies start to bloom.

Just to follow up, when I went outside to blow a few leaves from the
driveway I noticed that the hyacinths are up. I also noticed that the
location in the front of the house where I _thought_ I had dug up the
daffodils is just full of them. Clearly I did a bad job. Guess I'll have to
try again this year after the foliage dies back (but before it separates,
so I have a better chance of finding the bulbs).

My friends/neighbors bought me a big box of tulip bulbs at Schiphol Airport
in Amsterdam on the way back home from a tour and I hurriedly got them into
the ground late last year. At least a few of them are poking through so I
guess I got them into the ground in time and deep enough.

Daylilys are peeking through the new mulch but they were still green when I
put the mulch on this winter so that isn't surprising. The old-style flag
irises are up through the mulch too but just a bit. No telling what else is
happening out there but since I tend to plant bulbs randomly there is no
telling what will show up or where.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 27-02-2009, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
BD BD is offline

"John McGaw" wrote in message
John McGaw wrote:
BD wrote:
[...]

Nothing here is blooming,or even close! I just have about an inch of green!

Old 28-02-2009, 02:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

"BD" wrote in message
We've had a long, hard winter. Due to be in the teens and 20's again this
weekend....but I saw some green!!!

Pittsburgh, Zone 6

Now you made me go out and look.

Sure enough, daffodils are up, and tulips are popping out all over.

I put up some baby pictures, for anyone on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...537779&l=a61f8

I'd have sworn it was too early, but it's really only about one week ahead
of last year, according to my photo archives. It's a shame - yesterday was
60 degrees, it's 32 as I type this, with a mix of snow/sleet/rain in the
near forecast. Still, nice to know that Spring will once again happen this
year.

No matter what anyone says, February is the longest month of the year.

dwight
Philadelphia überburbs

[IMG] code is On

peeking over the fence... rachael simpson Gardening 16 16-05-2009 04:09 PM
peeking over the fence... rachael simpson Edible Gardening 16 16-05-2009 04:09 PM
Rhubarb peeking thru Srgnt Billko Lawns 2 11-02-2008 01:02 AM
hyacynths BRAMSCAPE United Kingdom 10 09-02-2004 02:02 PM
hyacynths BRAMSCAPE United Kingdom 0 08-02-2004 02:47 PM