Old 27-02-2009, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Newbie question

SteveB wrote:
Today, we went to the hardware store and bought a lot of seeds of
various kinds. In the past, we have bought live plants at nurseries.
We're new to gardening, so didn't have great success, but want to try
it again. Would it be better to just plant these seeds directly in
prepared ground, or get some peat pots and give them a head start in
a protected area. We are past the frost, or at least I believe so. I am
in extreme SW Utah, not sure even of which zone, as it is listed
differently in different books. Town: Toquerville. Elev. 3700'

Help appreciated. We're going to have some helpers tomorrow, and
will run some new lines, and get the irrigation water system kicked
off for this year.

Steve

It depends on the type. Some are better planted in a seed tray and then
planted out as seedlings, others go better sown direct. Check the
instructions on the packet.

David