Old 01-03-2009, 11:30 AM posted to aus.gardens
Dan[_9_] Dan[_9_] is offline

Default Grafting

"terryc" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 11:26:23 +0000, Dan wrote:

Is anyone familiar with this procedure and
can explain it please.

You have to make sure that the cambiran layer on both meet, so the stump
can feed the graft.

Usually, the plastic tape was just to close the slit and hold the graft
bud into place. That is really all you need. the aluminium foil may have
been to protect it from the sun. no idea about the cling wrap unless it
is a special requirement of figs.

Hi terryc,
I don't think the cling wrap was a special requirement for figs. I think it
was just a very successful grafting procedure. My friend had an avocado tree
with about five varieties grafted on so the one tree bore fruit practically
all the year round. He had a peach tree with at least three varieties, and
of course the fig. The foil was probably used to protect from the sun as it
was in the subtropical Atherton Tablelands, and I believe the cling wrap was
to maintain moisture. I'm not really worried why he used them, but how he
used them. I think at least one of the films was used twice. Sadly he has
passed away, and I have lost a great friend as well as a mine of gardening
information.
Cheers,
Dan.