Old 03-03-2009, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Can I use my shit as fertilizer in my garden?

zxcvbob wrote:
Jacques De Molay wrote:
I do pay a lot of $$$ for my food, so my shit is
still quite valuable and I refuse to shit in my toilet and
give it away for free.

So can I use my shit as a fertilizer for my garden?

It can be done if you know what you're doing. (I'm surprised nobody
has mentioned the _Humanure Handbook_ yet.) You need to compost it
for a long time before adding it to your garden.
http://weblife.org/humanure/default.html

This can be done safely with a properly constructed composting toilet. I
wouldn't be trying it otherwise.

You'd be better off adding leaves and shredded paper or sawdust to
your garden (to use up the excess nitrogen and to build the soil) and
fertilizing with pee.

Indeed, human urine is sterile (unless you have a urinarty tract infection)
and a good source of nitrogen. It is every man's duty to water the lemon
tree. I wouldn't be sexist about it but when I have suggested in the past
the ladies get involved too they don't seem to accept the idea so well.

David