Old 03-03-2009, 10:20 PM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Grafting

" Dan" wrote in message

Hi terryc,
I don't think the cling wrap was a special requirement for figs. I think
it was just a very successful grafting procedure. My friend had an avocado
tree with about five varieties grafted on so the one tree bore fruit
practically all the year round. He had a peach tree with at least three
varieties, and of course the fig. The foil was probably used to protect
from the sun as it was in the subtropical Atherton Tablelands, and I
believe the cling wrap was to maintain moisture. I'm not really worried
why he used them, but how he used them. I think at least one of the films
was used twice. Sadly he has passed away, and I have lost a great friend
as well as a mine of gardening information.
Cheers,
Dan.

i understand that what you wrap it with is much less important than just
getting it right - nice neat cuts, and a good size match, so the cambium
layers match up (which is the important thing) and stay matched until the
graft grows together, as terry said. some people use raffia. some people
probably use string or sticky tape!
good luck.
kylie