Old 08-03-2009, 01:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
DooDahMan DooDahMan is offline

Default Newbie question

My one neophyte lesson is don't forget to harden off the seedlings before
you plant them. I haven't had much luck with growing my own seedlings and
replanting until last year. Every day that it would be reasonably warm and
sunny, I put the seedlings outside and brought them back in at night. If
you don't do this, the shock of being outdoors often kills the seedlings.
Some things have been easy to plant outside in coastal RI. These include
peas, beans, squash, pumpkins, swiss chard, sunflowers and flowers that self
seed.

Jim
"SteveB" wrote in message
Today, we went to the hardware store and bought a lot of seeds of various
kinds. In the past, we have bought live plants at nurseries. We're new
to gardening, so didn't have great success, but want to try it again.
Would it be better to just plant these seeds directly in prepared ground,
or get some peat pots and give them a head start in a protected area. We
are past the frost, or at least I believe so. I am in extreme SW Utah,
not sure even of which zone, as it is listed differently in different
books. Town: Toquerville. Elev. 3700'

Help appreciated. We're going to have some helpers tomorrow, and will run
some new lines, and get the irrigation water system kicked off for this
year.

Steve