Old 08-03-2009, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jonathan Campbell Jonathan Campbell is offline

Default Planting early potatoes

David in Normandy wrote:
Jonathan Campbell wrote:

[...]
Oops! my instinct tells me the former, i.e. plant as early as the
ground and predicted weather allow.

J. C.

Mine are already in, but I need to keep an eye on the weather forecasts
in case of frost after they come up; in which case they will need a
little soil hoeing over them for protection.

(Incidentally.) I'm told that in this neck of the woods, a farmer
practice is, if the potato crop has emerged and there has been frost
during the night, they spray them with water before the sun comes up ---
using the sprayer normally used for anti-blight spray and for killing
seed potatoes.

The rationale for the damage prevention was explained to me but I've
forgotten.

I'll ask and report back; maybe useful for gardeners?

This gamble paid off nicely
last year. The biggest risk seems to be waiting for the "proper" time
to put them in but the garden is too wet to do so.

From experience before, they don't like very wet soil, whatever about
dry cold soil (somewhere I read soil should be 6 degrees for three days
before planting?).

Thanks,

Jon C.