Old 08-03-2009, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting early potatoes

Being a bit disorganised because of the severity of the winter and to
the fact that I'm returning to gardening after 30 years layoff, my
preparations for potato planting are a bit behind (North West Ireland).

My earlies have been chitting for just two weeks.

If one had the choice, i.e. ground was at sufficient temperature etc.,
would you plant or continue the chitting until buds are one or two
inches or whatever before planting? My instinct says the latter.

Best regards,

Jon C.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Being a bit disorganised because of the severity of the winter and to
the fact that I'm returning to gardening after 30 years layoff, my
preparations for potato planting are a bit behind (North West Ireland).

My earlies have been chitting for just two weeks.

If one had the choice, i.e. ground was at sufficient temperature etc.,
would you plant or continue the chitting until buds are one or two
inches or whatever before planting? My instinct says the latter.

Oops! my instinct tells me the former, i.e. plant as early as the ground
and prediced weather allow.

J. C.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Being a bit disorganised because of the severity of the winter and to
the fact that I'm returning to gardening after 30 years layoff, my
preparations for potato planting are a bit behind (North West Ireland).

My earlies have been chitting for just two weeks.

If one had the choice, i.e. ground was at sufficient temperature etc.,
would you plant or continue the chitting until buds are one or two
inches or whatever before planting? My instinct says the latter.

Oops! my instinct tells me the former, i.e. plant as early as the ground
and prediced weather allow.

J. C.

Mine are already in, but I need to keep an eye on the weather forecasts
in case of frost after they come up; in which case they will need a
little soil hoeing over them for protection. This gamble paid off nicely
last year. The biggest risk seems to be waiting for the "proper" time
to put them in but the garden is too wet to do so.
--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote:
Jonathan Campbell wrote:

[...]
Oops! my instinct tells me the former, i.e. plant as early as the
ground and predicted weather allow.

J. C.

Mine are already in, but I need to keep an eye on the weather forecasts
in case of frost after they come up; in which case they will need a
little soil hoeing over them for protection.

(Incidentally.) I'm told that in this neck of the woods, a farmer
practice is, if the potato crop has emerged and there has been frost
during the night, they spray them with water before the sun comes up ---
using the sprayer normally used for anti-blight spray and for killing
seed potatoes.

The rationale for the damage prevention was explained to me but I've
forgotten.

I'll ask and report back; maybe useful for gardeners?

This gamble paid off nicely
last year. The biggest risk seems to be waiting for the "proper" time
to put them in but the garden is too wet to do so.

From experience before, they don't like very wet soil, whatever about
dry cold soil (somewhere I read soil should be 6 degrees for three days
before planting?).

Thanks,

Jon C.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 08/03/09 15:35, Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Being a bit disorganised because of the severity of the winter and to
the fact that I'm returning to gardening after 30 years layoff, my
preparations for potato planting are a bit behind (North West Ireland).

My earlies have been chitting for just two weeks.

If one had the choice, i.e. ground was at sufficient temperature etc.,
would you plant or continue the chitting until buds are one or two
inches or whatever before planting? My instinct says the latter.

Best regards,

Jon C.

Drop ur pants and sit bare bum on the soil. If it feels cold, then
don't plant. Let them chit a few weeks more. Then re-test again.

It's nicey to get spuds planted on St Patrick's day.. but, if soil is
not warm, then wait till end of March or early April.

Stick wif ur latter instinct.

Ed

Old 09-03-2009, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jonathan Campbell wrote:

(Incidentally.) I'm told that in this neck of the woods, a farmer
practice is, if the potato crop has emerged and there has been frost
during the night, they spray them with water before the sun comes up ---
using the sprayer normally used for anti-blight spray and for killing
seed potatoes.

The rationale for the damage prevention was explained to me but I've
forgotten.

I'll ask and report back; maybe useful for gardeners?

I'd like to know about this. It seems counter intuitive to spray them
with water.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 9, 2:15*pm, David in Normandy wrote:
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
(Incidentally.) I'm told that in this neck of the woods, a farmer
practice is, if the potato crop has emerged and there has been frost
during the night, they spray them with water before the sun comes up ---
using the sprayer normally used for anti-blight spray and for killing
seed potatoes.

The rationale for the damage prevention was explained to me but I've
forgotten.

I'll ask and report back; maybe useful for gardeners?

I'd like to know about this. It seems counter intuitive to spray them
with water.

The perceived knowledge is that watered plants survive frost better
than dry ones. I always thought it a bit odd but no doubt a physicist
will explain it to us.

So far as the early potato planting is concerned
, old uncle Vic's advice was "Don't youm be in such a rush, boy!"
Old 09-03-2009, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote

(Incidentally.) I'm told that in this neck of the woods, a farmer
practice is, if the potato crop has emerged and there has been frost
during the night, they spray them with water before the sun comes up ---
using the sprayer normally used for anti-blight spray and for killing
seed potatoes.

I'd like to know about this. It seems counter intuitive to spray them with
water.

I lived in Canada and was advised to spray/mist plants in the evening before
a frost was anticipated.

I think there are several reasons:

- a layer of ice helps protect the plants from colder air and water loss;
- heat is generated when water freezes, so the heat protects the plant;
- heat is absorbed in the water during the day, and released at night;
- if you spray before the sun comes up the water melts the ice slower than
the sun would, lessening the damage.

It doesn't sound right to me either, so I prefered to cover the plants with
newspapers!

Old 09-03-2009, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

David in Normandy writes
Jonathan Campbell wrote:

(Incidentally.) I'm told that in this neck of the woods, a farmer
practice is, if the potato crop has emerged and there has been frost
during the night, they spray them with water before the sun comes up
--- using the sprayer normally used for anti-blight spray and for
killing seed potatoes.
The rationale for the damage prevention was explained to me but I've
forgotten.
I'll ask and report back; maybe useful for gardeners?

I'd like to know about this. It seems counter intuitive to spray them
with water.

Gentle warming? Instead of sudden warming when the sun gets on to them
--
Kay

Old 09-03-2009, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I'd like to know about this. It seems counter intuitive to spray them
with water.

I know the farm next to my old home grew A lot of blackcurrants and sprayed
them with water the evening before a late frost. The owner told me the water
froze first and protected the buds from damage.

Mike

Old 09-03-2009, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jonathan Campbell wrote:
[...]

(Incidentally.) I'm told that in this neck of the woods, a farmer
practice is, if the potato crop has emerged and there has been frost
during the night, they spray them with water before the sun comes up ---
using the sprayer normally used for anti-blight spray and for killing
seed potatoes.

The rationale for the damage prevention was explained to me but I've
forgotten.

I'll ask and report back; maybe useful for gardeners?

I phoned my informant just now and here is /his/ explanation: the
spraying of water is to wash the (hoar sp.?) frost off the plants before
the sun thaws it; (hoar frost = frozen moisture that has condensed out
of the air). I'd say some thawing takes place while the hoar frost is
still in contact with the plant, but maybe the thawing is much less
rapid and this has some moderating effect on what happens to the plant
cells.

No, I'm not convinced either. I studied (attended) thermodynamics
courses at college but none of it ever clicked with me.

Also, the stories of spraying with water /before/ threatened frost do
not exactly tie in with what I say above.

I'll enquire further.

Jon C.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
[...]

[...]

I doubted that Google would be any help here, but I was wrong; if you
Google spray water frost Geiger, the first link will direct you to a
page from a textbook by Geiger and others.

No, I can't say I understand that one either! But maybe worth analysing.

Jon C.