Old 08-03-2009, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel[_11_] Mel[_11_] is offline

Default Gardening advice

"Rock Creations" wrote

Hi All this is my first post, although I can create artificial rocks,
boulders, waterfalls and stone effect render to walls etc I haven'y got
a clue when in comes to growing vegatables. I have turned my garden over
and I am looking to plant a few things, mainly potatoes, dwarf
beans,carrots etc. My plot is not very big and would appreciate advice
on of when to sow/plant and what type etc

The previous advice to buy Dr. Hessayon's book is sound - B&Q, Amazon, and
most books shops. I've read almost every book in the library and that book
tells you almost everything you need to know.

Where in the UK do you live? I'm "up north", so too early to sow most
things outdoors, but in a cold greenhouse I've just sown early peas,
lettuce, spring onions, brassicas, broad beans, and carrots in a trough.
It's far too early for dwarf beans, which I start in about mid April, in a
cold greenhouse.

I grow potatoes in "polypots", which are sort of like plastic bin bags but
sturdier and smaller. I've converted several "old hands" on the allotment to
to growing spuds in these bags. I'll plant them about the end of March (if
the weather every bucks up - it's sleeting right now).