Old 08-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Registered User

Default Gardening advice

Hi All this is my first post, although I can create artificial rocks, boulders, waterfalls and stone effect render to walls etc I haven'y got a clue when in comes to growing vegatables. I have turned my garden over and I am looking to plant a few things, mainly potatoes, dwarf beans,carrots etc. My plot is not very big and would appreciate advice on of when to sow/plant and what type etc
Old 08-03-2009, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Rock Creations contains
these words:

Hi All this is my first post, although I can create artificial rocks,
boulders, waterfalls and stone effect render to walls etc I haven'y got
a clue when in comes to growing vegatables. I have turned my garden over
and I am looking to plant a few things, mainly potatoes, dwarf
beans,carrots etc. My plot is not very big and would appreciate advice
on of when to sow/plant and what type etc

hoose what you want to grow and look on the packets in the shops - all
the info' you need is there. Your question has rather a wide scope.

--
Rusty
Old 08-03-2009, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rock Creations" wrote

Hi All this is my first post, although I can create artificial rocks,
boulders, waterfalls and stone effect render to walls etc I haven'y got
a clue when in comes to growing vegatables. I have turned my garden over
and I am looking to plant a few things, mainly potatoes, dwarf
beans,carrots etc. My plot is not very big and would appreciate advice
on of when to sow/plant and what type etc

I'm going to have to ask questions to answer you....

Where abouts in the UK are you roughly?
What type of soil have you got?
What's the pH of the soil?
What was it before? (Grass?)
Is it in full sun?
Any pest problems? (Slugs etc?)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 08-03-2009, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rock Creations" wrote

Hi All this is my first post, although I can create artificial rocks,
boulders, waterfalls and stone effect render to walls etc I haven'y got
a clue when in comes to growing vegatables. I have turned my garden over
and I am looking to plant a few things, mainly potatoes, dwarf
beans,carrots etc. My plot is not very big and would appreciate advice
on of when to sow/plant and what type etc

The previous advice to buy Dr. Hessayon's book is sound - B&Q, Amazon, and
most books shops. I've read almost every book in the library and that book
tells you almost everything you need to know.

Where in the UK do you live? I'm "up north", so too early to sow most
things outdoors, but in a cold greenhouse I've just sown early peas,
lettuce, spring onions, brassicas, broad beans, and carrots in a trough.
It's far too early for dwarf beans, which I start in about mid April, in a
cold greenhouse.

I grow potatoes in "polypots", which are sort of like plastic bin bags but
sturdier and smaller. I've converted several "old hands" on the allotment to
to growing spuds in these bags. I'll plant them about the end of March (if
the weather every bucks up - it's sleeting right now).

Old 13-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel[_11_] View Post
"Rock Creations" wrote

[...]

I live in South Wales, the garden was grass before and I havent got a clue about the type or ph of the soil. What size buckets would I need to grow spuds in as I would create a bit more room. Thanks for any advice
Old 14-03-2009, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rock Creations" wrote

I grow potatoes in "polypots", which are sort of like plastic bin bags
but sturdier and smaller.

I live in South Wales, the garden was grass before and I havent got a
clue about the type or ph of the soil. What size buckets would I need
to grow spuds in as I would create a bit more room.

The polypots that I use each hold 17 litres of compost.

I bought 50 of them from Kays:
http://www.kaysdiscountgarden.co.uk/...22;pid= 71743

This will be my 3rd season that I've used them, and touch wood they're still
okay.

I plant one potato per pot. It's more expensive to grow in the pots because
I have to buy compost each year. However, when I dig up the spuds I tip the
soil onto my allotment beds so each year the allotment soil is improved.
Also, it's a lot of work filling the pots, but at the end of the year
they're much easier to harvest and the potatoes are a lot "cleaner" and have
(touch wood) less slug damage. Pros and Cons.