Old 09-03-2009, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

Default Planting early potatoes

On 08/03/09 15:35, Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Being a bit disorganised because of the severity of the winter and to
the fact that I'm returning to gardening after 30 years layoff, my
preparations for potato planting are a bit behind (North West Ireland).

My earlies have been chitting for just two weeks.

If one had the choice, i.e. ground was at sufficient temperature etc.,
would you plant or continue the chitting until buds are one or two
inches or whatever before planting? My instinct says the latter.

Best regards,

Jon C.

Drop ur pants and sit bare bum on the soil. If it feels cold, then
don't plant. Let them chit a few weeks more. Then re-test again.

It's nicey to get spuds planted on St Patrick's day.. but, if soil is
not warm, then wait till end of March or early April.

Stick wif ur latter instinct.

Ed