Old 09-03-2009, 11:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Hardy cacti

James Porter wrote in
:

Hi- I'm a big cactus fan and, until recently, had loads growing
in my house. I've now moved in with my girlfriend who isn't a
fan (to say the least!) and I've had to get rid of most of them!

what did she get rid of for you? i'd be suspicious of entering any
relationship where i had to give up something important to me that i
enjoyed, especially if the one asking me to give it up doesn't do any
giving up themselves...

I'm now wondering whether any 'hardy' cacti can be grown in the
garden and can survive our winter...? Surely there must be tough
cacti that grow up mountains and things and survive harsh
winters? Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.

well, where do you live? zone (if in US)? climate? i can grow pad
cacti outdoors in NH. there are optunia that are fine up to zone 3
(which is -40F winter temps). my less hardy cacti go outside for the
summer after first frost & come back inside in September (sometimes
as late as October).
lee