Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Registered User

Default Hardy cacti

Hi- I'm a big cactus fan and, until recently, had loads growing in my house. I've now moved in with my girlfriend who isn't a fan (to say the least!) and I've had to get rid of most of them!
I'm now wondering whether any 'hardy' cacti can be grown in the garden and can survive our winter...? Surely there must be tough cacti that grow up mountains and things and survive harsh winters?
Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.
Cheers.
James
Old 09-03-2009, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

--
James Porter

where are you at? what kind of winter are you talking about? cacti
grow in cold, but the soils drain very quickly. I have prickly pear
and jumping Chola that are hardy outside, but unless I planted them in
poor sandy soil here in my zone 7a in Tennessee, the Chola would
probably die from the rains and humidity. pad cacti do alright here,
though as do agave. what kind of cacti do you have? Can you put
your cacti in a specific place so that your girlfriend isn't
intimidated? She's probably weary of the spines. Is there any way of
compromise? Or is it a matter of either you get rid of the cactus or
you leave........how long have you had your cacti? I've got a Cereus
that I've grown since 1984......she weighs 100 pounds and I named her
Brenda after the woman who gave it to me in 1983 to watch for her
while she moved. She blooms at night in the late summer only once per
blossom and last year had over 29 individually maturing flower buds
that opened over a course of five weeks, then made another flush in
late September and bloomed in October at night.

without knowing where you are, I can't say you can plant them outside.
But you CAN take them out onto the deck after all chance of frost. I
do every spring and bring them in by fall before frost and freeze.

madgardener gardening with houseplants and cacti and perennials in
zone 7a Sunset zone 36 in Eastern Tennessee
Old 09-03-2009, 11:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

James Porter wrote in
:

Hi- I'm a big cactus fan and, until recently, had loads growing
in my house. I've now moved in with my girlfriend who isn't a
fan (to say the least!) and I've had to get rid of most of them!

what did she get rid of for you? i'd be suspicious of entering any
relationship where i had to give up something important to me that i
enjoyed, especially if the one asking me to give it up doesn't do any
giving up themselves...

I'm now wondering whether any 'hardy' cacti can be grown in the
garden and can survive our winter...? Surely there must be tough
cacti that grow up mountains and things and survive harsh
winters? Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.

well, where do you live? zone (if in US)? climate? i can grow pad
cacti outdoors in NH. there are optunia that are fine up to zone 3
(which is -40F winter temps). my less hardy cacti go outside for the
summer after first frost & come back inside in September (sometimes
as late as October).
lee
Old 09-03-2009, 12:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 23:39:26 +0000, James Porter
wrote:

Hi- I'm a big cactus fan and, until recently, had loads growing in my
house. I've now moved in with my girlfriend who isn't a fan (to say the
least!) and I've had to get rid of most of them!
I'm now wondering whether any 'hardy' cacti can be grown in the garden
and can survive our winter...? Surely there must be tough cacti that
grow up mountains and things and survive harsh winters?
Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.
Cheers.
James

I have a rather extensive cacti collection. I tried growing one that
originated on the southern CA coastline, but did not survive the
frost. The only sure way is to get a cutting from a plant known
that survives your winter. If the girl is to become a wife, get rid
of the cactus plants or put up a private greenhouse unless you can
convince her to enjoy the beauty of cactus.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

"James Porter" wrote:

Hi- I'm a big cactus fan and, until recently, had loads growing in my
house. I've now moved in with my girlfriend who isn't a fan (to say the
least!) and I've had to get rid of most of them!
I'm now wondering whether any 'hardy' cacti can be grown in the garden
and can survive our winter...? Surely there must be tough cacti that
grow up mountains and things and survive harsh winters?
Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.
Cheers.
James

Where are you in the UK, most parts don't have very cold winters.... many
cacti and succulents tolerate cold well (high desert in the US dips below
freezing nearly every night). Also how many cacti are you talking about,
and their size, some can be huge... I like cacti but I wouldn't want like a
hundred spiney goliaths strewn about every window in the house. Seems to me
that if they present a probem where you are considering planting them
outdoors (and so there must be adequate outdoor space) then your load of
cacti must be a boatload. If you are moving into someone's abode you really
can't expect them to get rid of their furnishings to make room for your
plant menagerie but perhaps a compromise is in order, pick out a few of your
favorites to keep indoors and for all the rest you can pay to erect a decent
greenhouse outdoors. This should really be a no brainer, it's not like she
has six cats and you're moving in with your six dogs. To start off think
greenhouse... if after a year or so and things become permanent perhaps add
on a four season conservatory that you can both enjoy. And don't pay any
attention to those bitter women with their negativeity. Whenever people
come together there has to be give and take. So long as you are essentially
happy with each other why should either of you have to be lonely over some
friggin' plants, maybe she has every inch of space covered with her
fercocktah needle point (I wouldn't want to live with a women who is a
compulsive sewer/knitter, every stitch is a jab of hate). You'll *both*
have to make compromises, and for rest of your lives there will be
compromises. You just can't pay any attention to those sour puss women with
their giant leaps that having to compromise your cacti means you will have
to give up your self... besides, they ain't seen the size of her tits. LOL

Do what makes you happy, listen to your own heart, don't listen to anyone
else. Good luck.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Hi- I'm a big cactus fan and, until recently, had loads growing in my
house. I've now moved in with my girlfriend who isn't a fan (to say the
least!) and I've had to get rid of most of them!
I'm now wondering whether any 'hardy' cacti can be grown in the garden
and can survive our winter...? Surely there must be tough cacti that
grow up mountains and things and survive harsh winters?
Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.
Cheers.
James

I'm sorry to hear this. Please do see this as a warning bell, and let
the bells be so loud they deafen you. She made you get rid of your
cactus because she doesn't like them? Are you joking? Move back out
and keep your cactus. What is wrong with women...holy shit.

Puhleeze! He didn't say he had to get rid of all, only most, and he doesn't
say she made him, just that he "had to"... more likely wasn't room for his
"loads" of cacti... wtf do you think he asked about planting them outdoors?
Anyways he didn't ask you to play Dr. Phil.... offer some constructive
advice, miss gloom and doom.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

Women are domineering and emasculating. It's a fact. I'd see
this as a warning sign. So, either you are a woman who does this shit
to her man, or you're pussy whipped as a man.

A rock and a hard place....

Wow. Reminds of The Waitresses song "I know what boys like".

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 09-03-2009, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 10:59:00 -0400, Bill
wrote:

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

Women are domineering and emasculating. It's a fact. I'd see
this as a warning sign. So, either you are a woman who does this shit
to her man, or you're pussy whipped as a man.

A rock and a hard place....

Wow. Reminds of The Waitresses song "I know what boys like".

Bill

I don't get myself between the rock and the hard place and I find no
problem giving someone something to think about before they
potentially make a huge mistake. Romantic love is not real and if
it exists even for a while, it isn't permanent. Why start on the
wrong foot immediately?
Victoria

Bill, do you believe her, I don't. I bet Victoria has no tits! LOL

Old 09-03-2009, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 10:59:00 -0400, Bill
wrote:

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

Women are domineering and emasculating. It's a fact. I'd see
this as a warning sign. So, either you are a woman who does this shit
to her man, or you're pussy whipped as a man.

A rock and a hard place....

Wow. Reminds of The Waitresses song "I know what boys like".

Bill

I don't get myself between the rock and the hard place and I find no
problem giving someone something to think about before they
potentially make a huge mistake. Romantic love is not real and if
it exists even for a while, it isn't permanent. Why start on the
wrong foot immediately?
Victoria

Bill, do you believe her, I don't. I bet Victoria has no tits! LOL

I think we should ask her to watch "Princes Bride" five times. )
First thought of clockwork orange scenario but came to the conclusion
that Gardeners are a varied sort fur sure. Sometimes hard to recognize
but some adage about removing splinter in my own eye pops up.

Bill who wonders why males have tits ? Must be a quest for
symmetrically perfect sculpture ?

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 09-03-2009, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill" wrote

Bill, do you believe her, I don't. I bet Victoria has no tits! LOL

I think we should ask her to watch "Princes Bride" five times. )
First thought of clockwork orange scenario but came to the conclusion
that Gardeners are a varied sort fur sure. Sometimes hard to recognize
but some adage about removing splinter in my own eye pops up.

Bill who wonders why males have tits ? Must be a quest for
symmetrically perfect sculpture ?

I read somewhere (probably National Geographic) that in some particular
primates the males are able to suppliment breast feeding while the females
are pregnant... probably much more prevalent millions of years ago. There
are still many sea creatures where the males do all the raising/feeding of
the young, in fact they birth and carry the young up until they can fend for
themselves, the female only deposits the unfertilized eggs and swims away
never looking back... so in fact the father is the mother. Some cichlids do
this (mouth breeders), I think so does the seahorse (the male has a pouch
like a marsupial).

Old 09-03-2009, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in
:

"Bill" wrote

[...]

it's also partly because gender differentiation doesn't occur in
mammal fetuses until later in predevelopment. IOW, you get a basic
body, then a gender (they don't always match).
also, human males can, in certain circumstances, lactate. it's
uncommon, but possible.
men also can get breast cancer & are more likely to find out in
late stage, so don't skip your breast self-exams just because
you've got other dangly bits. when i was in for surgery there was a
guy in with his third occurance of breast cancer. you'd think a guy
would just get a mastectomy & get it over with. it's not like they
need breasts...
lee
Old 09-03-2009, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 8, 5:39*pm, James Porter James.Porter.
wrote:
Hi- I'm a big cactus fan and, until recently, had loads growing in my
house. I've now moved in with my girlfriend who isn't a fan (to say the
least!) and I've had to get rid of most of them!
I'm now wondering whether any 'hardy' cacti can be grown in the garden
and can survive our winter...? Surely there must be tough cacti that
grow up mountains and things and survive harsh winters?
Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.
Cheers.
James

Gardens North site lists several in their retail catalogue - I doubt
if you would be able to order but at least give you some names and
zonal informaiton.
No affiliation
Dora

http://gardensnorth.com/site/

[IMG] code is On

The evolution of cacti Cereoid+10+ Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
cacti iona Gardening 3 14-03-2003 12:56 AM
Cacti Shadow Gardening 12 09-03-2003 04:08 AM
Cacti (fakes for yuppies) Cereoid+10+ Gardening 10 08-03-2003 03:32 PM
Red Spider Mite on cacti Jolltax United Kingdom 5 16-02-2003 07:26 PM