Old 09-03-2009, 12:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hardy cacti

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 23:39:26 +0000, James Porter
wrote:

Hi- I'm a big cactus fan and, until recently, had loads growing in my
house. I've now moved in with my girlfriend who isn't a fan (to say the
least!) and I've had to get rid of most of them!
I'm now wondering whether any 'hardy' cacti can be grown in the garden
and can survive our winter...? Surely there must be tough cacti that
grow up mountains and things and survive harsh winters?
Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.
Cheers.
James

I have a rather extensive cacti collection. I tried growing one that
originated on the southern CA coastline, but did not survive the
frost. The only sure way is to get a cutting from a plant known
that survives your winter. If the girl is to become a wife, get rid
of the cactus plants or put up a private greenhouse unless you can
convince her to enjoy the beauty of cactus.