Old 09-03-2009, 01:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Hardy cacti

"James Porter" wrote:

Hi- I'm a big cactus fan and, until recently, had loads growing in my
house. I've now moved in with my girlfriend who isn't a fan (to say the
least!) and I've had to get rid of most of them!
I'm now wondering whether any 'hardy' cacti can be grown in the garden
and can survive our winter...? Surely there must be tough cacti that
grow up mountains and things and survive harsh winters?
Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.
Cheers.
James

Where are you in the UK, most parts don't have very cold winters.... many
cacti and succulents tolerate cold well (high desert in the US dips below
freezing nearly every night). Also how many cacti are you talking about,
and their size, some can be huge... I like cacti but I wouldn't want like a
hundred spiney goliaths strewn about every window in the house. Seems to me
that if they present a probem where you are considering planting them
outdoors (and so there must be adequate outdoor space) then your load of
cacti must be a boatload. If you are moving into someone's abode you really
can't expect them to get rid of their furnishings to make room for your
plant menagerie but perhaps a compromise is in order, pick out a few of your
favorites to keep indoors and for all the rest you can pay to erect a decent
greenhouse outdoors. This should really be a no brainer, it's not like she
has six cats and you're moving in with your six dogs. To start off think
greenhouse... if after a year or so and things become permanent perhaps add
on a four season conservatory that you can both enjoy. And don't pay any
attention to those bitter women with their negativeity. Whenever people
come together there has to be give and take. So long as you are essentially
happy with each other why should either of you have to be lonely over some
friggin' plants, maybe she has every inch of space covered with her
fercocktah needle point (I wouldn't want to live with a women who is a
compulsive sewer/knitter, every stitch is a jab of hate). You'll *both*
have to make compromises, and for rest of your lives there will be
compromises. You just can't pay any attention to those sour puss women with
their giant leaps that having to compromise your cacti means you will have
to give up your self... besides, they ain't seen the size of her tits. LOL

Do what makes you happy, listen to your own heart, don't listen to anyone
else. Good luck.