Old 09-03-2009, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
moghouse moghouse is offline

Default Planting early potatoes

On Mar 9, 2:15*pm, David in Normandy wrote:
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
(Incidentally.) I'm told that in this neck of the woods, a farmer
practice is, if the potato crop has emerged and there has been frost
during the night, they spray them with water before the sun comes up ---
using the sprayer normally used for anti-blight spray and for killing
seed potatoes.

The rationale for the damage prevention was explained to me but I've
forgotten.

I'll ask and report back; maybe useful for gardeners?

I'd like to know about this. It seems counter intuitive to spray them
with water.

The perceived knowledge is that watered plants survive frost better
than dry ones. I always thought it a bit odd but no doubt a physicist
will explain it to us.

So far as the early potato planting is concerned
, old uncle Vic's advice was "Don't youm be in such a rush, boy!"