Old 09-03-2009, 07:48 PM
venusmist venusmist is offline
Registered User

Question NEWBIE NEEDS YOUR HELP! Small town garden pet and child friendly plants

Hi everyone - this is my second attempt at posting this - my first timed out - oops!

Well I am a total newbie to gardening (think greener than the greenest thing you have ever seen).

I live in the uk, and am a single parent to my 2 beautiful young children. Both of my kids are under 5, and my youngest (2) is disabled.He suffers from GDD and cerebral palsy - which means his moility is limited and he appears very clumsy. I have an small dog (affenpinscher), and i am looking to create a garden that we can all enjoy safely!

I have absoloutly no idea where to start - i know nothing about plants, lawn care, planting, garden design, pet and chlid friendly planting, etc etc etc

My garden is a complete blank canvas, and i have the time and wilingness to put in all the labour, i just need the advice and encouragement! I do though (well being a single mammy) have the smallest of small small budgets, so i know this isnt going to be one of those miricle overnight garden makeovers.

my garden is:

* 4m wide x 10m long
* north facing
* house is on south "wall" with small patio in front
* fenced (panel fencing) on 3 remaining sides to 4ft high
* behind north fence is mature hedgerow - 12ft high
* clay soil (solid lol)
* laid to lawn - very patchy, weak and unhealthy looking
* access to garden is only through the house.
* very shady

I want:

* child and pet friendly design
* child and pet friendly planting
* help on selecting shrubs, and all planting
* help and ideas for a design
* not too many annual plants (i'm a single mum and cant afford to replant the garden each spring)
* as much colour and scent as is possible (being child and pet friendly too)

not asking to much am i? I have absoloutly no idea where to start, and need you all to kind of hold my hand through it all, please please please can you help?

Sally xxx