Old 09-03-2009, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Default improving soil drainage without sand

"john zeiss" wrote in message

I have a lot of plants in Pots in a very small garden, and like to move
them around quite a bit according to whats in flower.

I like to have a free *draining* soil in the pots, but adding sand ends up
making them very heavy; especially the terracotta ones.

Is there anything I can use to 'add' to the soil to improve drainage,
that will not result in a increase in weight? Thanks.

Vermiculite, perlite, even polystyrene beads.

Though adding 10 - 15% of anything like this will of course reduce the
amount of soil by the same amount. You may have to feed/water more often.

Hope this helps

Tom