Old 09-03-2009, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default improving soil drainage without sand

I have a lot of plants in Pots in a very small garden, and like to move them
around quite a bit according to whats in flower.

I like to have a free *draining* soil in the pots, but adding sand ends up
making them very heavy; especially the terracotta ones.

Is there anything I can use to 'add' to the soil to improve drainage, that
will not result in a increase in weight? Thanks.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

"john zeiss" wrote in message

I have a lot of plants in Pots in a very small garden, and like to move
them around quite a bit according to whats in flower.

I like to have a free *draining* soil in the pots, but adding sand ends up
making them very heavy; especially the terracotta ones.

Is there anything I can use to 'add' to the soil to improve drainage,
that will not result in a increase in weight? Thanks.

Vermiculite, perlite, even polystyrene beads.

Though adding 10 - 15% of anything like this will of course reduce the
amount of soil by the same amount. You may have to feed/water more often.

Hope this helps

Tom

Old 09-03-2009, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

"Tom" wrote in message

Vermiculite, perlite, even polystyrene beads.

Though adding 10 - 15% of anything like this will of course reduce the
amount of soil by the same amount. You may have to feed/water more often.

Bad form to reply to your own post I know, but I hit "send" before
thinking.

I would think that letting the pots dry out a good bit before moving them
would help more than anything else (and has the added advantage of taking no
effort at all). I have often let a plant in a pot dry out to the point of
wilting without any lasting damage as long as you water straight away
afterwards. Though if the plant is in flower you may not like the idea of
that.

Tom

Old 09-03-2009, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Old 09-03-2009, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

john zeiss wrote:
I have a lot of plants in Pots in a very small garden, and like to move them
around quite a bit according to whats in flower.

I like to have a free *draining* soil in the pots, but adding sand ends up
making them very heavy; especially the terracotta ones.

Is there anything I can use to 'add' to the soil to improve drainage, that
will not result in a increase in weight? Thanks.

I grow a few Japanese maples in pots, although not nearly as many as
some do. It is essential to have very free draining soil for them.

I add coco shells, small caliber pine bark. Some people use straight
rough ground pine bark.

I also use cat litter, but you have to have the right kind based on
diatomite or similar. I believe the Tescos premium brand is meant to be
excellent, see http://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basicscatlitter.htm.

I use cat litter for in ground planting also, because it seems to not
interfere with natural water flow as much as other lighteners like peat.

-E

Old 09-03-2009, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john zeiss" wrote

I have a lot of plants in Pots in a very small garden, and like to move
them around quite a bit according to whats in flower.

I like to have a free *draining* soil in the pots, but adding sand ends up
making them very heavy; especially the terracotta ones.

Is there anything I can use to 'add' to the soil to improve drainage,
that will not result in a increase in weight?

I use fine bark chips as used in Orchid composts.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-03-2009, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john zeiss" wrote in message

I have a lot of plants in Pots in a very small garden, and like to move
them around quite a bit according to whats in flower.

I like to have a free *draining* soil in the pots, but adding sand ends up
making them very heavy; especially the terracotta ones.

Is there anything I can use to 'add' to the soil to improve drainage,
that will not result in a increase in weight? Thanks.

You could use chunks of polystyrene packing foam in the base of your pots in
place of crocks. This would make a considerable difference to weight *and*
you'd be using significantly less compost, which could mean quite a saving
if you have to buy it in.

Spider